Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error message when texting

Hi,

Hope someone has an answer to this . . . I just upgraded to an iPhone 4 yesterday at the AT&T store and had them transfer all my information from my 3GS to the new phone. Texted a couple people since then, no problem. Today, I tried texting again, and I get this error message: "+1 (1) (216) 116-11 Error Invalid Number. Please re-send using a valid 10-digit mobile number or valid short code."

I checked how the number was input into the phone - it only has the 3-digit area code and the 7-digit number. That is a10-digit number!

I know the number is correct, because I called the person and the call went through.

Anyone know how to fix this?

iPhone 4, iOS 6

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 11:24 AM

17 replies

Nov 4, 2012 10:06 PM in response to Jen from Simi

Those are the only settings that should effect the number formatting on your phone. Sounds like your carrier may have done something unconventional to transfer your contacts from your old phone to your new one (such as using some proprietary software rather than iTunes). The correct way to transfer your data to a new phone is to back up your old phone, then restore your new one to the backup of your old one, as described here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2109. You may want to go back to your carrier's store and find out what they did.

Jan 10, 2014 2:47 PM in response to Jen from Simi

I was having the same problem and here is how I fixed it.

I have fixed this problem on my iphone.

1. Delete all record of the problem number that will not except text messages.

Including contact, favorites, call log, text log...

2. send a text message to the phone number manually make sure to include the area code, no 1 needed.

3. click the sms button on your home screen, then select the number you just sent the message to and create a new contact from there.

Feb 18, 2014 6:23 PM in response to Jen from Simi

Just encountered this problem today. Have followed the suggestions of deleting the "+1 (1) (216) 116-11" entry in the message list, deleting the contact, (not in the favorites so nothing to delete there), call log, and text log. Sent a text message to the phone number manually without the 1+. Got the same error message. Also tried setting language to French, and then back to English, and then turning off and on again. Same result. Region is United States and "dial assist" is on. I haven't experienced this problem (yet) with any other telephone number. Is this an Apple problem or carrier problem?

Dec 3, 2014 6:45 AM in response to Jen from Simi

My wife had this problem for the past few days for a specific phone number. These instructions fixed it -- without having to restore from backup or contact the carrier.

http://www.timothydeblock.com/blog/2014/5/12/fix-message-sent-using-invalid-numb er-of-digits-msg-2114

1. Open Contacts -> select the contact -> select edit -> scroll all the way to the bottom and delete contact (delete multiple entries of the same phone number, my wife had five).
  2. Open the Messages app -> select Edit -> select the red circle and then select delete. Do this for both the person and the messages you received.
  3. Open the Settings app -> scroll down and select Messages -> turn off messages, by selecting the switch, and any other options turned on.
  4. Turn off your phone and then turn it back on.
  5. Go straight to messages and compose a new message and put in the phone number of the person you're trying to text. Send and that person should receive the text message. Add the person to your contacts and go back into message settings to turn on any other options you want on that you turned off.

John

Jul 15, 2015 1:52 PM in response to Jen from Simi

only way I got around this was to start a new text message by typing in the number. whatever the last number is change it to a letter that corresponds with the phone keypad. the last number was a 4 for mine, so I placed a d there instead. just use a letter in place for the number. If its a 1 or 0, Im not sure what to do. Also when they text back, you cant text back on the same message to them. Its as if your texting each other on different texts. That's a pain, but at least they are going though. Hope this helps! Allison

Error message when texting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.