Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up Data Permission Issues

Hello,

I am clearing out one partition of my external HDD (we'll call this Partition A). I want use Partition A for Time Machine to backup my internal HDD (mostly because I am wanting to upgrade it to an larger, faster internal SSHD). Before I can do any of that to safely move all my data from Partiton A to the other Partition B. It's not been going smoothly been having file ownership and permission issues.

I have receive the following message: "The backup can’t be copied because the backup volume doesn’t have ownership enabled."

I also have been getting similar message regarding permission with some items when trying move and replace files and folders.

My system is as follows...

• Macbook Pro 13" (Mid 2009)
  • Lion OS X 10.7.4

I have tried using the unlocking the padlock symbol when there is an isolated problem file that I know of but this did not solve the "Ownership" problems.

Thanks to all who try to help.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 11:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 12:55 PM

Open the Info window for each partition, click the lock icon and authenticate, then uncheck the box labeled Ignore ownership on this volume.

5 replies

Nov 5, 2012 12:54 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi,

I tried what you said it and I made some progress. Thanks. 🙂 The tranfser came very close to finishing it seems but failed right at the end. It appears I have two incomplete pieces of each file I want to transfer.

I received the following message in the Copy window this morning...

"The operation can’t be completed because some items had to be skipped. For each item, choose File > Get Info, make sure “Locked” is deselected, and then check the Sharing & Permissions section. When you are sure the items are unlocked and not designated as Read Only or No Access, try again."

There are only 3 files to be transfered here; an old back-up-in-progress file within a folder within a folder. I believe the files are set to Read & Write. I do try to unlock files (by clicking on the padlock in the bottom-right corner) but they always seems to re-lock themseleves again after appearing to unlock. Whether or not the files these were locked or unlocked at the time of transfer hard for me say.

Given the message I know this seems like a no-brainer but all things considered it remains a confusing situation for me!

Thanks

Backing up Data Permission Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.