Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a split screen effect for FCPX that...

Is there a split screen effect (from a third party) for FCPX that lets you adjust the size of each screen within the effect? In other words, they all let you choose half screens, screens split into thirds, etc. But I would like an effect that lets you easily adjust the size of the split. For instance, I would like to be able to drag the border in a 50/50 split to 60/40 or 72/28, etc.

I have the Screen Splitter effect from FCP Effects, and it doesn't let you do that. I was looking at the Splitscreen Effect for FCPX from Crumplepop, and it apparently doesn't have the ability I'm seeking (although from one tutorial I saw, it looks like the version for FCP7 might have it).

I know I can do this manually, but is there a split-screen effect that would allow me to adjust where the split is?

Thanks!

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 1:43 PM

29 replies

Nov 4, 2012 2:04 PM in response to dastoelk

Dastoelk -- Thank you for responding, but, as I said, I already own that effect (Screen Splitter from FCP Effects), and it does not do what I want. I want to be able to adjust where the between the screens is. So, if I want 52/48 instead of 50/50, I want to be able to do that. FCP Effects' Screen Splitter does not do that.

Does anyone know of a split-screen effect that allows me to adjust where the split between screens is?

Nov 5, 2012 1:09 AM in response to JDLee

http://sight-creations.com/fxexchange/sc_dividers2.zip

Does exactly what you want, PLUS it *can* fill (opacity control) all the regions with a solid color *and* you can rotate the dividers.

2 OSCs (onscreen controls) to drag the lines (and one will also allow you to rotate in the canvas.)

User uploaded file

When dealing with rotations, you still need to drag the OSCs left/right to set the *vertical* line positions (you'll see what I mean) and the horizontal line is set with the OSC with the rotation handle.

HTH

Nov 5, 2012 7:36 AM in response to fox_m

I downloaded and installed this (according to the instructions in the readme file), restarted FCPX, and can't find it in Effects or Generators.

Also, in the image you included in your post, it looks like it is just overlaying shapes and lines on the image, not creating a screen with two different clips in it.

Can you tell me how to use it? Thanks

Nov 5, 2012 10:37 AM in response to JDLee

It should be in Generators > Whatever Category you place the Dividers 2 *folder* in. (If you dragged the folder you get when you unzip the file, that will confuse FCPX -- it will think sc_dividers2 is a *Theme* and organize the file differently than suggested.) If you created a new category folder, the name of that folder shows up in the list of generator "types" in FCPX. You can also try finding it under "All".

The image above is the generator overlaying the storyline (which is a video clip AND a title that I'm developing applied - the generator is placed over both). Two of the regions were left with the color background regions "turned on" (opacities set to 100%) but each of the 4 regions has a separate background available. It is possible to animate these color backgrounds' fades, turning them on or off at will, by keyframing. Other than that, this generator is just 3 lines -- the horizontal, and two verticals. All of the lines can begin or end off-canvas, so if you need a 2-way split, drag the horizontal line off the bottom or top of the screen. If you need vertical 2-way, drag the vertical bars off either side of the canvas.

If you are applying video to fill the splits, those clips would be place *under* the generator. Use the Transform and Cropping controls to line up the edges under the divider lines. You can use the solid color regions as a fade or reveal from color to media. If you don't need to line up everything exactly, you can make use of the color backgrounds and transform the media smaller to fit over the color (place clips over generator in that case). There are onscreen controls in the canvas to make working with these transfroms easy (under the left corner of the canvas are a set of icons for Transform, Crop, Distort [or in FCPX 10.0.6, it is now one of those icons and a drop down menu to choose the others from.])

If you decide to experiment with rotated dividers? Apply a Keying > Mask to the clips and edit the mask to fit behind the divider lines - OR - use Tranform > Rotation to fit the clips with the same rotation as the dividers.

It's all very quick work once you get used to it.

HTH

Nov 2, 2013 7:17 AM in response to fox_m

Hello to you Fox!

Bumped into this thread after I started another one [had to start it because this thread did not be offered under the similar questions pop-ups].

I have downloaded the plugin/s but FCPX says that it cannot open the said file:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Can you please tell me what I should do to get these plugins working?

You may however have observed that I have also downloaded other split screen freebies from Ripple and Crumplepop, and I have been able to successfully see them functional in my FCPX.

Nov 3, 2013 2:17 PM in response to somanna

Sorry for the delay.

The default layout for that generator is exactly that - the four sections are filled with solid colors. There are options for changing the colors and their opacities so you can "knock out" any of the 4 sections (or overlay cropped/scaled clips centered over the individual backgrounds.) I recommend using the Mask effect (in Keying) to fit overlaid clips to the individual sections.

The generator is hugely customizable. There are 2 onscreen controls to help you lay out the divider lines. You can even move the lines off the viewer if you need only two, or three divisions and they can be animated. The solid colors can be left on if you want to use it as a design background for titling... etc... You can stack the generators to create more divisions if needed. The whole thing can be rotated to any angle (but that's one of the problems I had with that version.* I actually have a new version of the Dividers generator coming out — by tomorrow, hopefully — along with another related template, which I called "The Quad", that has drop zones in place of the color solids... if you want to wait.)

[* Once you rotate the divider layout, the onscreen controls lose their connection to the lines... as long as there is rotation. Resetting to 0 degrees sets it right again. In my new version of the generator, I've solved the problem of the disconnecting onscreen controls. Now, when you rotate the dividers, the onscreen controls retain their connection to the lines.]

Is there a split screen effect for FCPX that...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.