Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black screen after installing OS X Mountain Lion

Hi,

I have a 4 year old Mac Book Pro 15". I runned OS X Lion on it and upgraded to Mountain Lion. After installation computer booted itself and after that only black screen appears and nothing else. I tried to zap Pram (command option p r) but it did not help. Can it be that Mountain Lion is not compatible with older macs? Any suggestions what to try next.

MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz 2 Core, Mac OS X (10.6), Matrox MXO2 IO Card, LaCie 2T HD

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 12:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 12:28 PM

Macs that can be upgraded to OS X Mountain Lion

1. iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)

2. MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)

3. MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)

4. MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)

5. Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)

6. Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)

7. Xserve (Early 2009)

If your MBP is in the above list then it works with Mountain Lion. So, your installation didn't work quite right. Possibly due to upgrading over an already dysfunctional system or you have incompatible third-party software and/or peripherals involved.

Disconnect all your third-party peripherals. Try restarting. If it still doesn't startup properly, then try booting into Safe Mode and see if that works. If it does, then you probably have some incompatible software installed. Possibly installed drivers for one or more peripherals.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2012 12:28 PM in response to Monsieur Kimmo

Macs that can be upgraded to OS X Mountain Lion

1. iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)

2. MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)

3. MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)

4. MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)

5. Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)

6. Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)

7. Xserve (Early 2009)

If your MBP is in the above list then it works with Mountain Lion. So, your installation didn't work quite right. Possibly due to upgrading over an already dysfunctional system or you have incompatible third-party software and/or peripherals involved.

Disconnect all your third-party peripherals. Try restarting. If it still doesn't startup properly, then try booting into Safe Mode and see if that works. If it does, then you probably have some incompatible software installed. Possibly installed drivers for one or more peripherals.

Nov 4, 2012 1:08 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for a quick answer Kappy.

Safe mode did not work and if my MBP is from 2008 so then it should not be on the list, or what "mid/late 2007 or never" excactly means? I have understood that Mac OS updates do not install on a systems that they do not support...or it is now a different case for Lion?

I guess I have to somehow roll-back to previous installion. l have a time machine backup.

But with a MBP having a black screen and dvd station broken it is a bit problemtic. I need to boot the machine somehow in order to restore it.

And yes it may be indeed the problem that some third party drivers have messed up the system. I was recently having problems with EyeTV, and I thought uprading the system would help.

I guess I have to go to a local Mac store to ask some help.

Br,

Kimmo

Nov 4, 2012 1:17 PM in response to Monsieur Kimmo

It means that if you own a MBP model that is Mid or late 2007 or NEWER, then you can install Mountain Lion. You stated you have a 4 year old MBP which would mean it was from 2008. Since 2008 models are NEWER than 2007 models, your model will run Mountain Lion.

My suggestion at this point is the following. Be sure to disconnect all third-party peripherals.

Reinstalling Lion/Mountain Lion Without Erasing the Drive

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the main menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion: Select Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion and click on the Continue button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

Nov 5, 2012 3:36 AM in response to Kappy

I went to seller local reseller (www.tector.fi) here in Finland. And they looked the machine and said that the graphics card is physically broken. Sounds very bizarre that a system update can do that? They said guarantee in this case would be valid but only for 3 year old machines and mine is 4.

If really a system update can break physically your mac there should be a guarantee for lifetime for such cases. Propably the case is that system update was incompatible with some third party drivers (or with the mac itself), but anyway I cannot understand how mac software can broke the hardware.

Where should I contact in order to double check the guarantee guidelines for this case?

Br,

Kimmo

Black screen after installing OS X Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.