Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto sort order changes on iPad/iPhone when photos are edited

I have been having issues getting photos to display in the correct order on my iPad, iPhone and Apple TV. When I go into an event I want the first photo taken to be at the top and the last at the bottom. I sort by date so that photos taken on different cameras at the same event appear in chronological order and this works very well in iPhoto on my Mac. There is a problem when I sync to my devices though. Sometimes the order on my devices is the same as in iPhoto on my Mac and other times it is not. A recent software update seems to have cured the major issue, but created another. After some experimentation I have discovered that editing a photo changes its position in the sort, even if the adjustment has nothing to do with the date.

I picked a sample event and adjusted the contrast of the first photo. There was no change to sort order on the Mac. I hit sync in iTunes and the photo now displays last on my iPhone. Go back into iPhoto, click on "Revert to Original", sync iTunes again and the photo now displays first again. Seems like a bug to me.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), iPhoto 11

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 2:17 PM

23 replies

Nov 11, 2012 2:57 PM in response to siwilson

I also have have the same issue and have been on the phone with Apple Care....not much help I'm afraid although I do believe something is broken and requires a fix. Here is what I have found (all software up to date and latest OS BTW)....I have sorted all my pictures by Date, if I want to add a straggler I just alter the original date and all is well within the event. I then "batch change" the event to the tile and event name. So the pictures in the event are named " Holiday 2012 1-xxx. Again, all is well in iPhoto but when sent to an iPad or Apple TV the sort is as siwilson mentioned above. I just discovered a temp work around for events with less than 1000 pictures, if I sort by Title I can get them to show correctly on the ATV and iPad. Now what was/is interesting is somethimes they would sort correct and sometimes not. It turns out that if you sort the event by Title and quit iPhoto and reopen it....it has reverted back to sort by Date. It does that everytime. So what I do is turn home sharing off in iTunes (forces it to look at the photos again), open an iPhoto event and sort by Title. Then I turn home sharing on in iTunes (leaving iPhoto open) and sync my iPad. If I want ot stream photos to my ATV I must leave iPhoto open so the sort remains as I set it. If I want to retain the correct sort this is what I need to do each time. So this is a bandage for me until they fix things. One final about pictures over 1000.....it sorts them as mentioned above with another twist, numbering goes 0001, 1000, 1001, 1002 etc. @#$% why can't they just sort the way iPhoto presents them?

Nov 14, 2012 9:41 PM in response to 3336

As I mentioned above, there is an issue with iPhoto retaining the sort order when changed from Date to Title....when iPhoto quits it defaults back to Date. That is one issue and if I keep everything open during the sync or when ATV is streaming it works fine. I also believe that iTunes has an issue in the way that it passes on the info to the devices. There may also be something going on with iOS as well, to many variables for me to keep track of. There is a new version of iTunes coming soon, hopefully that will address this.

Nov 29, 2012 3:56 AM in response to siwilson

I have been getting frustrated from the same problem. Very annoying!!!

The quick "semi fix" that works for me is;

• select all of the photo's in iphoto. Hopefully you already have them in the correct order.
  • You then select batch change, whish is under the photo option on the grey home bar.
  • What I then did was reset the the photo to display "title" from the drop down
  • Next select "text" from the drop down
  • Final check the tick box that asks if you wish to "append a number to each photo".
  • Sync your photos to your iphone or ipad and confirm the photos to replace the originals

Probably best to just remove then all first by un-syncing them

• When you re-sync the photos you will notice that the photos appear in the phot library on your device in the correct order, unfortunately when viewed through the album or event option the problem remains.

Hope the aobve helps in the mean time.

Jan 23, 2013 10:45 AM in response to raydela

For what this is worth....I commented on this way back and may be able to add to it somewhat. Unfortunately with no fix. I am at this point using a borrowed laptop, my iMac is gone for the time being (long story). I did a Time Machine restore to the laptop prior to the last iPhoto update. Everything else has been updated to the latest including any iOS devices. Right now if I sync to or stream to the picture order is correct. My wife has an iMac as well which is up to date including the latest version of iPhoto. If I stream from that to my ATV the photos are out of order, if I stream from my laptop the photos are back in order. The only difference is the last iPhoto update which I will not do. I will continue to update my wifes and when/if this is finally fixed update mine. So what I am saying is....it looks like the issue is in iPhoto.

iPhoto sort order changes on iPad/iPhone when photos are edited

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.