Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble with Spotlight in 10.8.2

Spotlight is giving me grief.

1) It is constantly indexing but necer gives a time at the bottom.

2) I can launch applications correctly but for example I have contacts selected but when I put a contact I know I have into the search field, it does not display. Finally I entered my last name and none of my family appeared. Only my card and when I selected it I got gibberish. When I pressed Command on the card my name appeared in small type at the bottom but no other information was available from my card.

I added it and then removed it from the rpivacy tab in Spotlight preferences. It is indexing away with no indication of time.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tommy

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 2 HG Intel Core I7 8 GB Ram

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 4:25 PM

7 replies

Nov 4, 2012 6:47 PM in response to tommmy

Okay, the little dot inside the spotlight magnifying glass has gone.

It says it is still indexing and gives no indication of remaining time.

I entered my last name and under events my family's birthdays appear but not one of the contacts is listed althougn contacts is selected above events in the search Results in the Spotlight Pref Pane.

I put the name of a document I can see in the finder. It doesn't find it. As I erase the letters other documents appear. Very frustrating.

Nov 4, 2012 8:02 PM in response to tommmy

I would like to add that the little black point disappeared after TimeMachine stopped a massive backup. It was something like 580MB. I don't understand what it was backing up. It had been on all the time and I had surfed and written a few short mails. Maybe I updated one or another small app but 580MB? Don't know if that had any relation to my indexing problem.

Thanks

Nov 4, 2012 8:19 PM in response to tommmy

Sorry about the continuous updates.

I booted from a clone and Spotlight worked like it should.

I ran Diskwarrior on my Hard Disk. Had to stop and restart because it seemed to have gotten stuck but it reported no errors. Rebooted from my hard disk and now it says it should take 23 hours to index my disk. The progress bar, which honestly I had never seen before, was all the way to the left, as if it was starting the job of indexing.

I'll get back tomorrow or the day after when this is over. Thanks for bearing with me.

Trouble with Spotlight in 10.8.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.