Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why isn't my iMessage on My macbook in sync with my iPhone?

IMessages appear unread on my Macbook when they have been read on my iPhone! Why aren't they in sync?

They are both setup using the same Apple Id and the main contact they are all linked to is my mobile number. I have the same settings on my iPad and that is working perfectly in sync.

It's just my Macbook iMessage that isnt recognising when a message has been reda on another device. What am I missing or can be done?

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 12:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 1:35 PM

Hi,

Most of this centres on what "Sync" means in the context of iMessages.

In this case it means "Display on all devices".

It does not mean "update the individual message with whatever I do with it elsewhere"

i.e. if you delete it on your phone it is still available to Save on the Mac which has more storage space.

The iOS device version and the Mac Version are in fact two different but compatible Apps.

There may be some differences around some things like the "Read" or Delivered" indicators.
As syncing on the Mac can be some hours after the iPhone has been iMessaging (say you use your Mac at home and messages at work on the iPhone) then the syncing can take time when waking from Sleep or turning the computer On. (it can run like a speeded up conversation)
This tends to exclude all meaning from Read/Unread and Delivered indicators.

You are not missing anything and unfortunately until Apple speed up the Sync process in general nothing can be done.

User uploaded file
9:35 PM Tuesday; November 6, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2012 1:35 PM in response to Gripfast

Hi,

Most of this centres on what "Sync" means in the context of iMessages.

In this case it means "Display on all devices".

It does not mean "update the individual message with whatever I do with it elsewhere"

i.e. if you delete it on your phone it is still available to Save on the Mac which has more storage space.

The iOS device version and the Mac Version are in fact two different but compatible Apps.

There may be some differences around some things like the "Read" or Delivered" indicators.
As syncing on the Mac can be some hours after the iPhone has been iMessaging (say you use your Mac at home and messages at work on the iPhone) then the syncing can take time when waking from Sleep or turning the computer On. (it can run like a speeded up conversation)
This tends to exclude all meaning from Read/Unread and Delivered indicators.

You are not missing anything and unfortunately until Apple speed up the Sync process in general nothing can be done.

User uploaded file
9:35 PM Tuesday; November 6, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Nov 7, 2012 12:58 PM in response to Gripfast

Hi,

User uploaded file For the points User uploaded file

It does appear to be something that Apple still need to work on.

User uploaded file
8:58 PM Wednesday; November 7, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Why isn't my iMessage on My macbook in sync with my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.