Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two biggest issues since I started to use iMac

I started to use Apple products one year ago, and I am very glad to keep Windows away. Now I have two iMacs, in office and home.

Almost everything is perfect except these three things:

(1) Google Chrome makes the whole system slow down after a few days.

I know it is probably Chrome's problem,I wrote a bug report to Google earlier but I don't think they take care of it. I think Apple should contact and work with them directly because it is acutally hurting Apple's brand and performance. And most people don't know it's Chrome that makes it happening.

(2) The launch of files is slow, such as image files or iWork (Pages, Numbers, Keynotes) files.

Is it just me who feel it is slow? But comparing with early experience with Windows, the launch is not as responsive as Windows. Sometimes I have to click a file a few times, because I don't know if it is being launch or not. Besides, even if it is launched right away, it is still not as fast as expected. Windows could do it, I don't think OS X can't.

(3) Sometimes, I cannot close an app by clicking "X" or closing a tab, I cannot close it until I move/drag the app a bit...

It is very weird, but it happens in both iMac I have. Is it just my own experience?!

Open for discussion and hope someone in Apple could give information or advises. Thanks.

Joe

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 12:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 3:18 AM

1. Google Chrome is a Google issue. This forum is for Mac hardware and software.

2. See: http://www.reedcorner.net/mpg/

3. Clicking "X" does not quit an application like it does in windows. Command-q from the keyboard or select Quit from the application's menu.

8 replies

Nov 5, 2012 5:54 AM in response to ShadowLook

ShadowLook wrote:

(1) Google Chrome makes the whole system slow down after a few days.

As sig said, that is Google's problem. I don't know why so many people want to use Chrome anyway. What's wrong with Safari?

(2) The launch of files is slow, such as image files or iWork (Pages, Numbers, Keynotes) files.

What is slow? Can you quantify that somehow so that other people could have something to compare against? I have a 35 MB, 1400 page Pages document that opens in about 12 seconds. Is that slow or fast?

(3) Sometimes, I cannot close an app by clicking "X" or closing a tab, I cannot close it until I move/drag the app a bit...

Clicking the red X only closes the open document. In Mountain Lion, that will sometimes close the application too. However, there is little need to close documents and applications anymore. It is actually detrimental if you are using iCloud because it will prevent changes from being synced.

Nov 5, 2012 7:04 PM in response to etresoft

Thanks for your info & advises.

(1) As etresoft said "so many people want to use Chrome", there must be some reason.

For me, Chrome still feels faster during operation & loading, and the interface is more intuitive (although it's simpler).

(2) I don't have 1400 pages to test with. But even with 1-2 pages, it takes 2-3 seconds (I don't think it's because my computer resource problem, as sig suggested... it happens with brand new machine.) For Windows, when opening a 1-2 pages document, it opens immediately instead of showing a progress bar. For larger documents, I think Windows delay the content loading after it's opened, so it feels faster somehow.

(3) I understand clicking "X" does not close an app like Windows does. What I am experiencing is that sometimes clicking "X" is not doing anything, it's not responsive. I have to drag the app a bit in position so that "X" button can be clicked. It's very weird and does not happen all the time.

Nov 6, 2012 2:31 AM in response to ShadowLook

Hi ShadowLook,

Could you please try the following? and share the results here.

>> What ever application you use to open the images - open a image first, then open another image; Please check if there is a performance difference between opening the first image and next image. If the second is better that, means initiating the application (for example) is slow the first time only. This is what happens in most of my cases and I am absolutely happy rather than uncessarily loading it at the time of start up. I think this is expected because the application loads the first time to RAM. By right this is applicable everywhere until you are loading the application in the start up itself.

>> Regarding the browser, I agree Google Chrome is faster than safari. But I am mostly or all the time using only safari because the difference is too little or not there at all. Just did a Sunspider Tests (for Java Script Safari Vs Google Chrome) - Result is Safari is 1.091 times slow to Google Chrome. But I do suggest you to check the internet bandwidth usage. - One of my client company banned Safari within the network because of over usage of network.

Nov 6, 2012 4:43 AM in response to ShadowLook

Perhaps you have some poorly behaved 3rd party system extensions. I wrote a little diagnostic program to help show what might be causing these problems. Download EtreCheck from http://www.etresoft.com/download/EtreCheck.zip, run it, and paste the results here.

Disclaimer: Although EtreCheck is free, there are other links on my site that could give me some form of compensation, financial or otherwise.

Nov 6, 2012 7:13 AM in response to etresoft

etresoft wrote:

Perhaps you have some poorly behaved 3rd party system extensions. I wrote a little diagnostic program to help show what might be causing these problems. Download EtreCheck from http://www.etresoft.com/download/EtreCheck.zip, run it, and paste the results here.

Disclaimer: Although EtreCheck is free, there are other links on my site that could give me some form of compensation, financial or otherwise.

Nice app! Thumbs-up!! Five stars!!!

Two biggest issues since I started to use iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.