Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMac operating problems

A few weeks ago my 2007 iMac would not power up unless I went through a SMC reset. Even then, it would just shut down randomly. After diagnosis at a Genius bar, the power supply and logic board were replaced.

I then downloaded Mountain Lion and the computer became unusable with every process triggering a spinning ball. I used Time Machine to restore an earlier version of my system and whilst the restore went well, I still had the spinning ball. I then did a clean install of Snow Leopard. I’m now left with various problems: The Start up disk cannot identified – Flashing ? mark, so selecting the disk using the Option key at start up is needed some times. More worrying, I ran Disk Utility and got a message saying the disk could not be repaired. I’m now doing an erase and install.

My question is, is there anything else I should be doing?

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 4:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 4:24 AM

An erase and install of SL may be the only option at this point. Disk Utility does not repair physical damage, but will tell you if the file systems on the hard drive are so messed up it just gives up on them. At that point erase and install is about all that is left. If that doesn't work the hard drive may actually have physical damage or be failing. If you have an external drive, that would be good to install a bootable Mac OS X on so you can start and keep your data safe.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2012 4:24 AM in response to ceedoubleu

An erase and install of SL may be the only option at this point. Disk Utility does not repair physical damage, but will tell you if the file systems on the hard drive are so messed up it just gives up on them. At that point erase and install is about all that is left. If that doesn't work the hard drive may actually have physical damage or be failing. If you have an external drive, that would be good to install a bootable Mac OS X on so you can start and keep your data safe.

IMac operating problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.