Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Leaving iMessage? How!!!

Hey Guys

I have a MacBook Pro, iPhone 4S and iPad Mini.

I'm basically switching phones to the new Nexus 4.

Even though I've turned off iMessage, text messages will not come through to my new Android phone (or any other phone.) They still come through as iMessages!

I've turned off my phone number on all devices and turn iMessage off on the original iPhone, but still my messages are not coming through correctly?

What is the best/correct way of sorting this out?

I'm trying to do a phone review and need to be using the new phone for the next four weeks.

Thanks

Mark Brown

http://www.editorskeys.com

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 9:32 AM

3 replies

Nov 5, 2012 11:26 AM in response to marktheeditor

All you should need to do is turn off iMessage in settings. If the phone still has service and is able to send and receive sms messages it will unregister itself with the iMessage server. Another thing you could do is unregister it with Apple by doing the following:

1. Go to: https://supportprofile.apple.com/MySupportProfile.do
  2. Log in if not already logged in.
  3. Click on ">" to the right of the phone listing
  4. Click "unregister"

Sometimes this can help with unregistering a phone with iMessage.

Nov 6, 2012 9:06 AM in response to marktheeditor

Not sure but I would try toggling iMessage off, then back on on your other devices. If you phone number is no longer registered with iMessage, this should remove the phone number from your other devices, leaving only the email address in Send & Receive. If this doesn't work, you could also try changing the Apple ID you're using for iMessage. To do this go to Settings>Messages>Send & Receive (Settings>Messages>Receive At in iOS 5), tap the Apple ID, sign out, then sign back in using a different ID.

Leaving iMessage? How!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.