Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unreadable photos after upgrade

After upgrading to iPhoto '11, I now find that I have some unreadable photos in my library. The upgrade appears to have converted some scanned .jpegs into unreadable .tiff's. I have been to the Omaha Apple Store and this issue stumped their Genius Bar. Help!

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 10:14 AM

6 replies

Nov 5, 2012 10:32 AM in response to bigguyneb

What is the color profile of these photos? Are they sRGB or gray scale?

What exactly are you seeing that tells you these are unreadable and what makes you think that a JPEG has been changed to a TIFF (iPhoto has no ability to do this except during an export)

What version of iPhoto did you have before the upgrade? What version of iPhoto '11 do you have now? What version of the OS?

LN

Nov 5, 2012 12:34 PM in response to LarryHN

all color. I get the warning triangle that says they are unreadable.

"What exactly are you seeing that tells you these are unreadable and what makes you think that a JPEG has been changed to a TIFF (iPhoto has no ability to do this except during an export)"

The tech guy at the genius bar.

Running all the latest and greatest versions of OS and iPhoto. Had the previous latest and greatest before these came out.

Nov 5, 2012 12:50 PM in response to bigguyneb

Select on and show info - what format does it say it is -

Why does the guy at the Genious bar think that? If they were changed from a JPEG to a TIFF it was not done by iPhoto or any iPhoto upgrade - what else has gone on?

The exact version is helpful - to different people "the latest and greatest" will not be the same - which is why I ask what version you have - in iPhoto under the iPhoto menu == about iPhoto - or in the applications foldr show info for the iPhoto application

LN

Nov 5, 2012 9:34 PM in response to bigguyneb

What version of iPhoto did you have before the upgrade? What version of iPhoto '11 do you have now?

There are many version of iPhoto '11

Again

The exact version is helpful
- to different people "the latest and greatest" will not be the same - which is why I ask what version you have -

in iPhoto under the iPhoto menu ==> about iPhoto

- or in the applications folder show info for the iPhoto application

And

Select one of the problem photos and show info - what format does it say it is?

We can not see your system and only know what you tell us so if you want valid help you need to answer questions about what you have -- other wise answers are simply wild guesses

LN

unreadable photos after upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.