Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB hub that supports iPad charging & synching

Are there any USB hubs that support charging "and" synching with the iPad 4th Generation or iPad Mini? I use a MacBook Air as my desktop to drive an LED Cinema Display and with only two USB ports, and I need two more. I have an old Belkin hub that obviously will not work. My Time Machine USB drive demands a direct computer USB port, as does the iPad. My iPhone 4S works (most of the time) on the old hub, but sometimes not. Surely there is an solution to this dilemma? At worst I'll have to use WiFi Sync and just keep the iPad charged with it's own charger though WiFi sync will likely be much slower than USB? Thanks for any suggestions.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion, + 24-inch LED Cinema Display

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 12:17 PM

19 replies

Mar 15, 2017 5:11 AM in response to Larry McJunkin

Hey Larry, Rich Holler here!

I stumbled across this discussion while researching a 4/7port powered hub to use for all my various Apple devices, that will allow both sync'ing and charging. Your comment about the Orico H7013-U3-V1-BK is now about 5 years old, but that hub is still available, and at a reasonable price... so I wondered what your opinion is now? Since I tend to keep and re-purpose my devices when I upgrade, I find that I now need at least 5 USB ports to support all my iPhones and iPads. So I thought that a single, powered hub might be the best way to go. (?)

Mar 15, 2017 5:16 AM in response to rholler

Correction, your link was to the Plugable Technologies USB2-HUB4BC, and not the Orico unit I mentioned (too many open windows to keep track of) ;-) The Plugable Technologies unit actually looks *far* better than the Orico unit.

But that brings up another question -- for the purpose of sync'ing and charging Apple devices, is there any reason to spend the additional $$ to go with a USB3 hub, rather than a USB2 hub?

Mar 15, 2017 5:32 AM in response to rholler

OMG, a voice from my past...it's great to hear from you!

I still have this hub from Plugable Technologies, but when I upgraded my two portable, unpowered USB drives to USB 3.0 I needed the extra sync speed for Time Machine and daily backups. For drive backups and sync I do notice a big difference as USB 3.0 is up to 10x faster. But for the purpose just synching iOS devices and Macs, USB 2.0 will still work just fine. I still have the hub in this thread in use on my wife's desk.

You can look over this company's products here, and they still sell this hub, so it must be a good one.

Nov 5, 2012 12:58 PM in response to AdamBritt

Actually, so far most will not work. They need to have at least one port with 2.0 amps for the iPad to charge, and what happened on the first two Belkins I tried (with external power supplies) is the synching process just stopped after about ten seconds or so. Even on Apple's Online Store most of the hubs state in the Mfg. notes..."not designed to work with an iPad).

So, still looking for something that is a bit beefier than a typical USB hub.

Dec 27, 2012 10:29 AM in response to Larry McJunkin

Hi Larry - NewerTechnology, D-Link, and Unitek have now started making hubs specifically that have a 2.1amp port for iPad charging (and other tablets) (as of Nov-2012).

The D-Link is the "best looking" in my opinion - very AppleTV-esque.

You will also find these as they often are marked with a 4.0amp power supply.

Happy charging. 🙂

Dec 27, 2012 11:51 AM in response to Larry McJunkin

The following powered hub is amazing! Not only charges and syncs my iPhone 5 and iPad mini simultaneously, but charges them much faster than the Apple charger. I talked with the company before I bought it and it's been thoroughly tested with both devices. Best USB hub I've ever had.

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Charger-Adapter-Charges-Kindle/dp/B005P2BY5I?Subs criptionId=AKIAJ27KPV45VTL2XA5Q&tag=plugabltechno-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&crea tive=165953&creativeASIN=B005P2BY5I

USB hub that supports iPad charging & synching

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.