Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What if there's no choice of start up volumes? I only see a half circular arrow and an arrow pointing right. The upper left has a tiny watch.

I had a grey screen with a flashing question mark so I restarted the computer and held the option key down. I only see a return symbol and a right arrow and a watch. I don't know what's wrong with the computer. I need to get my stuff off of itunes onto a hard drive/and or my new macbook pro.

Thanks in advance for any help or insight into this.

imac g4

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 2:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 2:56 PM

Do not hold down any keys until you hear the startup tone, if you don't hear the startup tone take the machine for service at your local AASP or Apple Store.

4 replies

Nov 5, 2012 3:18 PM in response to consolata17

Hold on a sec, are you really on a G4 and not an Intel iMac? If so you're HD has probably fatally crashed, if it's the originial it's at least 6-7 years old.

If you are on a G4, the posting in the correct forum (noted below) always helps.

https://discussions.apple.com/community/desktop_computers/imac_powerpc

G4's were all Power PC (PPC) based, iMacs made since 2006 have been Intel based. When posting ensure you choose the correct forum and your Profile is up-to-date so we can easily help you out.

What if there's no choice of start up volumes? I only see a half circular arrow and an arrow pointing right. The upper left has a tiny watch.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.