3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2012 7:25 PM by VikingOSX
Ron Stephens1 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Can someone help me understand Pages' behavior when opening/saving documents?

Here's the scenario:

-From Pages' File menu I select Open. A Finder window opens to the desktop (why the desktop?). Then I navigate to the document I want, edit as needed, and close it.

-The next time I select Open, I'm expecting the dialog to open to the last location. But it always open to the desktop, requiring me to navigate through the folder hierarchy AGAIN to the document I want.

The same works in reverse for the Save command. I want to save into the most recently opened directory, but the Save dialog opens to the desktop, forcing me to navigate through the folders AGAIN to get back where I left off.

Anyone?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 8 GB RAM
  • VikingOSX Level 6 Level 6 (11,475 points)

Ron Stephens1 wrote:

Can someone help me understand Pages' behavior when opening/saving documents?

Here's the scenario:

-From Pages' File menu I select Open. A Finder window opens to the desktop (why the desktop?). Then I navigate to the document I want, edit as needed, and close it.

-The next time I select Open, I'm expecting the dialog to open to the last location. But it always open to the desktop, requiring me to navigate through the folder hierarchy AGAIN to the document I want.

The same works in reverse for the Save command. I want to save into the most recently opened directory, but the Save dialog opens to the desktop, forcing me to navigate through the folders AGAIN to get back where I left off.

Anyone?

I am using Pages '09 v4.2. Mine opens to the same directory as the last file was saved. If you want a different outcome, use the Option key modifier when choosing File > Save. This Save As ... result offers an alternative destination -- one that will be re-opened on the next Pages session.

If yours behaves differently, I would move the following file to the Trash:

<login directory>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iWork.Pages.plist

• Ron Stephens1 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Trashing the prefs. What a concept. Why didn't I think of that?  Thanks!

• VikingOSX Level 6 Level 6 (11,475 points)

Sometimes, the problem looms larger than our memory.

Thanks. And glad to help.