Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When updating my Iphone 3G to ios 4.2.1 I get a alert saying: your sim card is not compatible, to activate your iphone please go to a operator to get a compatible sim card, why is this happening? how can I get my phone back??

When updating my Iphone 3G to ios 4.2.1 I get a alert saying: your sim card is not compatible, to activate your iphone please go to a operator to get a compatible sim card, why is this happening? how can I get my phone back??

iPhone 3G

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 3:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 6:12 AM

Was your iphone hacked/unofficially unlocked?

18 replies

Nov 6, 2012 1:07 PM in response to KiltedTim

What they told me was that they were trying to get into contact with the carrier and unlock it legally..they had to pay for that to the carrier, in my case I bought it in Miami but I'm living in Europe.

is that possible to do? and in that case, do I have to do this unlock issue everytime I make an update? and with a 3G beeing an old Iphone, how far can you go with updates?

somewhere I was reading that with an iphone 3G, you cannot go any further than IOS 5.0. Is that correct?

Kind regards

Nov 6, 2012 1:16 PM in response to yusette

The store can do nothing on your behalf. If you have a US iPhone, it is locked to AT&T, so you will have to contact AT&T to ask if you qualify for unlocking. See:

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

If you can get the iPhone officially unlocked by AT&T, then upgrading iOS in the future will not relock the iPhone. Note, however, that jailbreaking an iPhone often renders it permanently incapable of being officially unlocked.

As to the version of iOS, an iPhone 3G can only run up to iOS 4.2.1. It will not run any more recent version.

Regards.

Nov 6, 2012 1:31 PM in response to yusette

DO NOT BELIEVE THEM!

If you bought it in Miami, it is locked to AT&T. AT&T will NOT unlock it for anyone other than the account-holder of record or the original person when provided with proof of purchase for a no commitment phone.

The iPhone 3G was never available in the U.S. as an unlocked device. AT&T did not start offering unlocking for customers until well after it was discontinued.

Your phone was hacked/jailbroken.

The ONLY legitimate way to get it unlocked is for YOU to contact AT&T and make the request. You will need to provide proof of purchase for a no commitment phone from either an Apple Store or an AT&T Store, or you must be a current or former AT&T customer in good standing who completed your contractual agreement or paid the early termination fee.

Nov 6, 2012 1:38 PM in response to varjak paw

Hi Varjak,

thanks for your answer! the store is going to contact AT&T for me..of course is going to cost me some money..

what do you mean by: qualify for unlocking? what do I have to do to qualify?

also, do you know what is the consecuence of not been able to update more than iOS 4.2.1?

at the store they told me that was possible to update till iOS 6. although what you say is what I though...

Regards.

Nov 6, 2012 1:46 PM in response to yusette

Facts:

AT&T WILL NOT SPEAK TO "THE STORE". YOU need to make the request to have the phone unlocked. Varjak provided you with a link to the official request form provided by AT&T for getting this done.

In order to qualify for unlocking, as I have already told you, you will need to provide proof of purchase for a no commitment phone from either an Apple Store or an AT&T Store, or you must be a current or former AT&T customer in good standing who completed your contractual agreement or paid the early termination fee.

If you give "the store" any money to have it unlocked, they will jailbreak it or hack it. They can NOT get it legitimately unlocked? Do you understand?

Nov 6, 2012 1:48 PM in response to yusette

A store cannot do this for you, and if they're charging you money to do so they're scamming you. The qualification terms are on the AT&T page to which I linked. Please seem what Tim posted below where he explains in more detail.

do you know what is the consecuence of not been able to update more than iOS 4.2.1?

The consequence is that you won't get any of the features of the newer versions and won't be able to run any apps that require iOS 5 or iOS 6.

at the store they told me that was possible to update till iOS 6.

If you have an iPhone 3G, not a 3GS, then the store was totally wrong.

Regards.

Nov 6, 2012 1:48 PM in response to yusette

yusette wrote:

Kilted Tim,

Now I'm confused...
I do not know much about iPhones as you can see. I bought it from somebody in Miami..so I don't have any
proof of purchase of course nor Im a current or former AT&T customer. does that means that I will never get my Iphone back?

Yes. That means you will never be able to get your phone legitimately unlocked.

You purchased a gray market phone. You do not meet AT&T's requirements to have it legitimately unlocked.

It had to be hacked or jailbroken when you bought it since you were able to use it on another network.

Updating it has re-locked it to AT&T or bricked it. Either way, you can not use it.

Nov 6, 2012 1:55 PM in response to KiltedTim

Sorry Kilted Tim,

I think we answering and asking at the same time and therefore missing some facts..

as I told you in my last answer: Im not costumer from AT&T. I don't have any proof of purchase.. I bougth it from somebody else..2cond hand.

so, my question is: do I have to give up my Iphone? is there any other way to get it back to work? (other way than the one's you are sugesting me?)

and thanks, I get it: 'the store" cannot do anything for me.. only the jailbreak thing.. understood!!!!

Regards and thanks for the answers!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.