Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LTE not available on LTE enabled network in Belgium (Belgacom)

I was very excited about the opening of the first public LTE network in Belgium by the carrier Belgacom.

This carrier runs LTE on 1800MHz which is supported by my european iPhone 5.

Apparently Apple blocks access or is not willing to provide a carrier settings update for us to access this LTE network?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 3:08 AM

529 replies

Nov 6, 2012 11:28 AM in response to Pieter J.

I also have an iPhone5 and I am also on the Proximus/Belgacom network.

I don't understand why 4G is not transparent like 3G is.

I bought my iPhone5 SIM-lock-free in the official Apple Store for 900 euros so it would work with the carrier of my choice.

So come on Apple, release the carrier-update. If I didn't want 4G I would have stuck with my 4S.

If this is Apple's policy of treating their clients, in the long run, they will only punish themselves.

Nov 6, 2012 12:11 PM in response to Pieter J.

I live in Belgium too. It's a real shame... I don't understand why Apple descides to disable the LTE-chip for certain countries/carriers?

The iPhone 5 is 100% compatible with Belgacom's new LTE network. Apple just needs to push an update to the OS or carrier settings to enable the hardware/chip inside the phone. (as they did in the latest iOS 6.1 beta for Denmark).

Belgacom publicly stated they tried to contact Apple for this but got no response.

Nov 6, 2012 12:22 PM in response to Nico_rhns

Apple did not disable anything for anyone.

As for:

Belgacom publicly stated they tried to contact Apple for this but got no response

Of course they didn't. They are NOT A SUPPORTED CARRIER. They have NO business relationship with Apple. They are not an Apple authorized carrier. Apple does not support the use of the iPhone on their network.

How many different ways does this need to be said to make it clear?

If you want a guarantee of full functionality, use a supported carrier.

Nov 6, 2012 12:52 PM in response to KiltedTim

Oh if Apple doesn't disable LTE, can you explain me why I don't see an LTE toggle on my iPhone 5?

User uploaded file

It's verry clear to me Apple is disabling the LTE functionality on certain carriers.

If the chip would be enabled I would have no problem connection to the Belgacom LTE network (it's technically compatible, they use the 1800Mhz band).

And like I said in my previous post, they enabled it for TESLA in Denkmark (a country and carrier I can't find on Apple's LTE page http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/).

Proof: http://9to5mac.com/2012/11/01/whats-new-in-ios-6-1-beta-maps-bugs-reporting-lock screen-music-more/

Nov 6, 2012 1:15 PM in response to KiltedTim

Proximus is the only carrier to support lte in Belgium at this time!

If Proximus statements are true and apple is blocking a compatible lte network just because it is not Mobistar, it would really be the straw that broke the camel's back!!!

That would be one more argument for the ever growing fandroid base against apple current behavior at locking things down :-(

I live in Wavre where proximus just launched his brand new lte network. I own an iPhone 5 and iPad 3 and I AM NOT ABLE TO USE LTE/4G !!!???!!!

What a frustration!! I really hope this is just an error from apple and that they are currently fixing it!

J.

Nov 6, 2012 1:29 PM in response to Gomba

Hey Gomba, I do agree with you totally.

If it is Apple who blocks it, just because it is not a supported carrier, it will turn against them.

I must tell you that your iPad3 is not compatible with the Proximus LTE network because it uses an other frequency. For the moment the only compatible Apple devices that have the correct frequency are the iPhone5, iPad4 and iPad mini.

LTE not available on LTE enabled network in Belgium (Belgacom)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.