Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does fcpx uses the gdp under Mountain Lion?

We are using fcpx 10.0.6 on a MBP2011 and an iMAC27-2009 under 10.7. It is running smoothly, using all cores but seemingly not the gdp.

Will that change with an upgrade to 10.8?

Thanks!

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), iMAC27-2009

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 4:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 5:26 AM

I assume you are talking about the gpu. AFAICT there is no way to actually see how much of the gpu an application or process is using (as opposed to the use of the cpu, as you can see in Activity Monitor).

It appears that 10.0.6 does make more use of the gpu than previous versions, which results in much faster rendering, for instance. This does not seem to be OS related, but rather from the way the application is coded to target the gpu (presumably via OpenCL, but I can only speculate, of course).

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2012 5:26 AM in response to wtr-d1

I assume you are talking about the gpu. AFAICT there is no way to actually see how much of the gpu an application or process is using (as opposed to the use of the cpu, as you can see in Activity Monitor).

It appears that 10.0.6 does make more use of the gpu than previous versions, which results in much faster rendering, for instance. This does not seem to be OS related, but rather from the way the application is coded to target the gpu (presumably via OpenCL, but I can only speculate, of course).

Nov 6, 2012 7:02 AM in response to wtr-d1

I tried istat pro and it didn't show me anything about gpu.

But I also tried atmonitor (I think this is the name), and I added a bunch of effects to a clip in FCP and let it render. Before the utility crashed it did show gpu use rising and remaining high (somewhere between 60% and 98%) for a while, so it does seem that FCP X was tapping the gpu power for rendering (I was not running any other significant tasks at the time).

Does fcpx uses the gdp under Mountain Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.