Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone doesn't receive iMessages sent to phone number

Just recently my iPhone 5 won't receive iMessages that are sent to my phone number, my iPad and Mac receive them just fine, and after rebooting my phone the problem solves itself only for a little while and comes back again. I have even turned my iMessage off and back on countless times, and even restored my phone and set it up as new and the problem still persists! Now i have set it up so on all my devices, iMessages get sent from my Apple ID and now my iPhone has been receiving all iMessages without any problems, although i really would prefer to use my phone number. Any help is greatly appreciated.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 3:49 AM

17 replies

Nov 7, 2012 2:19 AM in response to razmee209

i don't think you read my question properly, the problem is that whenever an imessage is sent to my phone number, my iphone will simply not receive it until half an hour later, i reboot my phone or i turn imessage off and back on again, but everytime the problem seems to have been fixed, it comes back again after a while. but when imessages are sent to my email address, my iphone receives it and notifies me instantly with no problem.

Nov 11, 2012 1:41 AM in response to Kaka Dongguan

All the settings i should have turned on for my iPhone 5 for iMessage are all on; iMessage is turned on, "Send & Receive" have both my phone number and apple ID ticked," Start New Conversation" is set to my phone number and yet my phone only intermittently receives iMessages over both wifi and my cellular connection while my iPad and Mac receive iMessages sent to my phone number without any problems whatsoever.

Nov 11, 2012 6:11 AM in response to rbarraga96

I'm experiencing the same problem. When I look at the settings on my 4S the phone number is "greyed out" unselectable and unchecked while my email address to receive messages to is bold and checked. The setting on my iPad actually shows my phone number bolded and checked. Additionally the iPhone says I receive messages at one address whereas the iPad says two, due to the phone number working on the iPad. It seems backwards. Just this morning I was texted by my wife and the message appeared on my iPad but not on my iPhone.

I'd like to dive deeper into this and find out what is going on? Anyone have any more info?

Feb 1, 2013 3:48 PM in response to bungletronics

Don't know to what degree some of you may not have your "Location" On and your "Clock" set to Auto, but I understand that is required to have iMessage and FaceTime function correctly. I recently went on a cruise and changed my Clock to Manual. I noticed my FaceTime options in my Contacts went away. I also noticed my iMessage was not actually working correctly. When I changed the Clock back to Auto... and the Location to On everything worked properly.

Mar 9, 2013 6:38 AM in response to rbarraga96

I had the similar experience. I have the iPhone 5, all was working well using iMessage with my phone number. I then hooked my Mac to iMessage using my Apple ID. After this, all my iMessages from my phone were being send with my email address. In settings / messages / send & receive, I could see my phone number and email address, but was unable to select my phone number in the "You can be reaced by iMessage at:" (it should be grayed out and selected by default). I also could not select my phone number in the "Start new conversations from:" section.

I turned off iMessage, rebooted the phone, turned iMessage back on and was able to use my phone number. my email is added as a location I can be reached at and I am able to select my phone number now in "Start new conversations from:"

Mar 9, 2013 4:24 PM in response to rbarraga96

Same has just happened to me. I receive SMS only to my iPhone and imessages to my ipad and MacBook. I also turned off iMessage, rebooted phone, and then turned on iMessage. I was then able to use my number and email. Previously, my number was not checked. Everything was working fine and overnight I had this issue. I have the 4S. Hopefully this will fix the issue long term.

iPhone doesn't receive iMessages sent to phone number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.