Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I correctly connect my Airport Extreme to my iMac (OS 10.6.8), which is on a wired cable modem connection?

I just purchased an Apple Airport Extreme base station. My iMac desktop computer is currently on a wired cable modem connection. I tried to set up Airport Extreme, but the yellow light keeps blinking, and says it can't detect my Airport Extreme. I need to know the sequence of steps for correctly configuring my current setup, so that I may take advantage of wi-fi with my iPhone 5. Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 7:03 AM

1 reply

Nov 6, 2012 8:19 AM in response to kso808

First, you have to connect your internet cable modem output to the "internet" input on the Airport Extreme. It is the jack with the circle above it (next to the USB port). You can also then connect a CAT5e cable from 3 port switch on the Airport Extreme to your iMac internet input. Then open Airport Utility in the Utilities folder and it should detect your new Airport Extreme and you use the utility to setup the wireless settings, etc.

How do I correctly connect my Airport Extreme to my iMac (OS 10.6.8), which is on a wired cable modem connection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.