2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2012 11:42 AM by NN2RL
NN2RL Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

I currently use a 4th Generation Airport Extreme as my WiFi router and have a 1st Generation Airport Express that I use for AirTunes and direct internet connection to my stereo receiver. These work very well together. 

However, I have poor signal strength in certain rooms of my house and my wife has trouble connecting to the net with her iPad. If I need to boost signal strenth in those certain rooms, what do I need to buy and how do I configure it? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

AirPort Express 802.11n (1st Gen), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
  • Bob Timmons Level 10 Level 10 (93,590 points)

Add another AirPort Express to "extend" the wireless network using wireless only.  Locate the Express approximately half the distance from the AirPort Extreme to the general area that needs more wireless coverage.

Option two (recommended if possible) would be to run an Ethenret cable from one of the LAN <-> ports on the AirPort Extreme to the specific area that needs more wireless coverage and connect the cable to the WAN "O" port on the Express.

• NN2RL Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

I will give this a try and report back when I have it configured properly.  Thank you for your help!