Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why some mpg files have icon preview (and quiclook) and others mpg files don't?

Thank you (and sorry for mt english!)

User uploaded file

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 12:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 12:40 PM

Just a guess, from me, as an answer.

There are two different formats that use the .mpg file extension (MPEG-1 and 2). On my machine MPEG-2 files don't show an image from the file whereas, MPEG-1 files do show an image.

But to add to the confusion my MPEG-2 files show the QuickTime icon and MPEG2 letters and number and yours shows just MPEG. But the file name (M2U00111) suggests it is MPEG-2 format.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2012 12:40 PM in response to lucadl

Just a guess, from me, as an answer.

There are two different formats that use the .mpg file extension (MPEG-1 and 2). On my machine MPEG-2 files don't show an image from the file whereas, MPEG-1 files do show an image.

But to add to the confusion my MPEG-2 files show the QuickTime icon and MPEG2 letters and number and yours shows just MPEG. But the file name (M2U00111) suggests it is MPEG-2 format.

Nov 6, 2012 1:16 PM in response to QuickTimeKirk

Oh, thank you!

Yes, I check the file type.

The one on the right (TOTUScales.mpg) says: "Codec: MPEG-1 Video, MPEG Layer 3"

the one on the left (M2U00111.mpg) says: "Codec: MPEG-2 Video, AC3" and no preview if I use space bar to get the quicklook. (just the "waiting icon",,,)

What do you mean with "MPEG2 letters and number"?

Thank you!

Nov 6, 2012 1:35 PM in response to lucadl

User uploaded file

This is the normal icon I see on my Mountain Lion machine for an MPEG-2 file and it is different on your machine. I don't get a "preview" of the file or any "QuickLook" option on my MPEG-2 files.

Since Mountain Lion is the first release of any Mac OS that includes "native support" for MPEG-2 formats (previous OS's had to purchase a $20 component) I guess you and I will live without icon previews or "QuickLook" options on these few MPEG-2 files we may come across.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.