Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting Macbook to tv

Hello, sorry if I'm asking a question that's already been asked but my forum searches have been fruitless. I am planning on getting a used MacBook from the local Apple store primarily to watch Internet content like YouTube videos on my tv, and would like to know how to connect to it. My Internet access is by way of a home network from a wireless router. Can I wirelessly connect from the MacBook to the tv and have it show what I see on the MacBook screen and hear the audio through the tv speakers? Do I need to make a wired connection to some kind of VGA or mini VGA connector? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

MacBook

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 12:12 PM

13 replies

Nov 6, 2012 3:12 PM in response to Cuban smoothie

You can only use a wired connection not wireless. First we need to know which one of the 9 different models of MacBook you have. To see which model you have go to the Apple in the upper left corner and select About This Mac, then click on More Info (and then System Report if you’re running 10.7 Lion). When System Profiler comes up check the Model Identifier and post it back here.

The Late 2008 model 5,1 Aluminum Unibody and the Late 2009 model 6,1 and Mid 2010 model 7,1 White Unibody have a Mini DisplayPort. The Early 2006 model 1,1 through Early 2008 model 4,1s plus the Early and Mid 2009 model 5,2s have Mini-DVI ports. Each would take a different adapter to connect with the TV.

And also what input plug you'll be using on your TV. VGA, DVI, Composite or HDMI. (Composite is the red, white and yellow RCA plugs on your TV or red, white and S-Video plugs.)

Nov 7, 2012 11:11 AM in response to Cuban smoothie

Thanks for your reply fredric1943. I have not purchased the MacBook yet as I wanted to make sure I got the one with the right port(s) for what I need to do. My dealer had a few of the white unibody ones available or I'm sure he could fix me up with one of the silver-bodied ones (I'm afraid I am not up on which model is which). I am also looking to get a new TV so I can get one with whatever connector. My issue is would I need software to send what I see on the MacBook to the TV and would it include the audio as well? Much obliged...

Nov 7, 2012 12:05 PM in response to Cuban smoothie

Depends on what input plug you'll be using on your TV. VGA, DVI or HDMI. You'll need a Mini DisplayPort adapter and a cable from that to your TV. Here's the various types of Mini DisplayPort adapters on Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=min i-dvi&x=9&y=13#/ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_2_16?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mini+ displayport&sprefix=mini+displayport&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Amini+displayport If you connect the MacBook using a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter you will probably need to use external speakers or a 3.5mm stereo headphone jack to RCA sound plugs connected to a stereo sound system if your TV doesn't have separate RCA input plugs or a 3.5mm stereo input plug for audio with the HDMI plug. The Mini DisplayPort to HDMI doesn't carry audio unless you get the Mid 2010 model 7,1 white Unibody and there're no audio plugs on most TVs to work with HDMI since it's expecting audio with the HDMI. But check your TV manual to see if it has audio plugs that work with one of the HDMI ports.

If you get Late 2009 model 6,1 White Unibody with the Mini DisplayPort there is an adapter that uses the Mini DisplayPort and a USB port to combine video and audio to HDMI. It's only 2 channel stereo not 5.1 Dolby Surround.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802 &p_id=5969&seq=1&format=2

There's no extra software needed. When you first hook it up it will probably have the display set in Extended Desktop mode. The Menu Bar and Dock will be on the MacBook display and your background screen on the TV but you can move the cursor onto the TV screen.

In System Preferences>Display on the MacBook screen there should be an Arrangement tab when you have the MacBook hooked up to the TV and both screens working. When you click the Arrangement tab do you see two monitors side by side? One of them will have a Menu Bar at the top. Just click on the Menu Bar and drag it to the second monitor. That will make the second monitor your main screen.

The TV will now have the Dock and Menu Bar and windows will open on it. But you can move the cursor to the MacBook screen and move windows from the TV over to the MacBook screen.

You can now use your MacBook in Clamshell Mode with a wired or Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131 When you disconnect from the TV your Menu Bar will automatically change back to the MacBook.

Or if you want to work on the MacBook screen while showing it on a TV you can check the Mirror Display box on the lower left hand side of the Arrangement tab under the two monitors box. That will give you the same screen at the same resolution on both the MacBook and the external monitor.

Nov 7, 2012 1:18 PM in response to Cuban smoothie

Hi Frederic, I was researching the Mini DisplayPort on Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_DisplayPort and noticed at the end of the Compatibility section that the interface with HDMI seems to still be a mess. What's your take on this? Would an adapter to DVI be more reliable/better? I can probably get a Mid 2010 7,1, but don't want to run into problems getting it to talk with the HDTV. I am fine with just 2 channel stereo in my setup. I can follow through the rest of your instructions - thanks! - but will have to wait until I get both the MacBook and HDTV to try it all out, hopefully within the next few days. Cheers . . .

Feb 20, 2013 11:09 AM in response to frederic1943

Hi Freferic,

I saw this forum and had some questions. I have the Macbook 10.6.8 and I'm trying to took it up to my Plasma Panasonic tv. I have a all the right cords. The image comes up on the screen but no audio....I just got the logic board replaced at apple so I know its not that. My brother has a Macbook Pro and the sound works fine. When I plus in t he Pro there is an option in sound setttings to select the panasonic for the output. My Macbook does not have this option. If you have any ideas why the sound is not working I'd really appreciate it! Thank you!

Kylie

Feb 20, 2013 3:50 PM in response to behindthisbeauty

First we need to know which one of the 9 different models of MacBook you have. Only the Model 7,1 was made after Apple figured out how to send audio through the Mini DisplayPort. To see which model you have go to the Apple in the upper left corner and select About This Mac, then click on More Info (and then System Report if you’re running 10.7 Lion). When System Profiler comes up check the Model Identifier and post it back here.

Mar 13, 2013 8:43 AM in response to Cuban smoothie

Hi, I also have a problem to connect my macbook to the tv.

Recently, I bought a mini display port from amazon and hdmi cable to connect to my tv. But I dont know that the mini displayport is not compatible with my mac.

I think it's too big to fit in the port on my mac. My macbook Model Identifier: MacBook7,1.

This is the cable that I bought http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003BERYLA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8 &psc=1

I need help. Which cable should I buy actually?

Connecting Macbook to tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.