Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages on a new iMac can't talk to old iChat buddy

I've been looking for two days now and no one seems to answer this question clearly. I bought my parents an iMac (not the newest newest) and I was unable to migrate their stuff off of the old mac mini. So I am basically setting this up as a new computer without previous contacts. I am just trying to add myself to his messages list. I can't add to the buddy list and only get my phone number and e-mail address as options if I hit the plus sign in the "To" field. My iChat account is of the .mac variety. I see how to add every other messaging service (AIM, Yahoo, Jabber) but I cannot get it to connect to my iChat. I thought selecting my e-mail address would do it, but it says "xxxxxx@mac.com is not registered with iMessage." And I can't add a buddy in the buddy list - it seems I can only go through the address book.

Any ideas? Any links to more in-depth instruction on setting up Messages? Everything I find skips ahead and already has all of the contacts showing up in the buddy list.

Long story short - using Messages on Mountain Lion, how do I have a chat with someone using iChat on Lion that has a .mac account for IM'ing?

Thanks,

Keith

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 11:42 AM

14 replies

Nov 6, 2012 12:24 PM in response to Carlo TD

Thanks for the reply Carlo. Is this really the only option? Seems weird that I have a mac based IM account and it can't talk to Apple's lates IM software, so I have to get a AOL account. I'm not questioning that will work and I will try it, but it just seems like Apple has some odd work arounds sometimes.

Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it goes.

Keith

Nov 6, 2012 2:23 PM in response to mudshark73

HI,

Messages can do two things

1) iMessages with a "registered" Apple ID to other Apple IDs and iPhone Numbers.

It will also sync (Display) the same iMessages over all devices and Macs using the same Apple ID.

At OS X 10.8.2 and iOS 6 it will also link in the iPhone Number as a option/alias to Send from the Mac.

2) Do everything in a Buddy list when Logged in with AIM that the Apple IDs ending with @Mac.com and @me.com have always been able to do.

This does require that you enter the ID/name in again if you are using it for the iMessages part.

As before AIM Logins cannot chat to Jabber Logins or vice versa.

Also iMessages is a separate service from AIM and Jabber.

If you are using iChat and have an AIM valid name he will have to use an AIM Login as well.

If he has an iCloud (@me.com name) then this can be added as an Account in the same way they are added in iChat (Use the Plus Button in Accounts).

User uploaded file
10:23 PM Tuesday; November 6, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Nov 6, 2012 5:32 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Ralph... i want to add.. iCloud with 10.8.0 started out by having the email end in @me.com (it had not transitioned to the @icloud.com ending yet) but by 10.8.2 the ending for iCloud changed to @icloud.com (full transition has occoured from mobileme to icloud; even though some people have the @ me.com for icloud... it is all now @icloud.com for new set ups.

mudshark,... it is a little trickier with the older ichat system. We use skype and http://adium.im mostly. but ichat will work good provided you set it up with an aol account. If you have an aol account on the newew OS... you will be able to communicate using Messages (formerly called ichat).

Nov 7, 2012 12:35 PM in response to Carlo TD

Hi Carlo TD,

Yes I just got my email Today about using @iCloud

It linked to this page http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5441

User uploaded file
8:35 PM Wednesday; November 7, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Nov 7, 2012 2:32 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

I have a similar problem. I am trying to use messages to chat with my gf. We both have apple ID's and using mountain lion. But are not able to talk to each other. Everytime it say that xxxxxx@mac.com is not registered with iMessage.

I don't understand why I cannot figure this out. We both recenly bought new mac laptop (air and pro), but we cannot get this Messages working.

Any help?

Nov 8, 2012 2:20 AM in response to Subgroover

ok... this is confusing... but not realy... i am sure there is a support article that describes this... but in the mean while try to understand my translation.

Your AppleID is an email address that is not provided to you from Apple. After having an AppleiD you may set up an iCloud account ending in @icloud.com and link it to your AppleID but basically your AppleID is your primary email (not from Apple).

If you need to manage your AppleID you can do that here.

If you need to update your primary email or add an alternate email to link to your icloud account that is the link to go to.

Once you create or manage your AppleID, (your primary email address: not from Apple - I am asumming you already have an apple id) the linked Apple email that you created either with MobileMe or Me.com or iCloud can not be changed. Unfortnately your purchases are linked to that Apple provided email ending in @mac.com @me.com @icloud.com in the App Store.

Ok.. you and your girl friend have mountain lion. With Mountain Lion Messages (formerly called iChat in previous OS). In iChat you were able to set up a MobileMe account hence you had an @mac.com or @me.com ending. Now that MobileMe has transitioned to iCloud you will need to either use an @icloud.com or @me.com ending or a linked Google or Yahoo or Aol account or Jabber account.

Just because you can still use a linked @me.com or @mac.com to your AppleID for your Mail... you will need to fully use the @icloud for Messages. (Ralph you can do this to your Messages account it probably shows as your @me.com address). But for Messages you will need to just go to Messages Preferenes and add the @icloud ending in the accounts tab under add email.

You might first need to open your System Preferences. Click the iCloud tab (or Mail Contacts Calendar tab). Now set up iCloud account. You will be able to communicate with each other in Messages using the @icloud.com email. Why? because both of those emails will be linked to an alternate email.

I think it is easier to go to that link and manage your AppleID. You might also need to sign out of iCloud from the computers system preferences then sign back in.

Message was edited by: Carlo TD

Nov 8, 2012 12:24 PM in response to Carlo TD

HI,

There is nothing in the Apple Doc I linked saying that you must use the new iCloud ID anywhere.

1) @mac.com names were issued under the .Mac service.

When MobileMe started @mac.com names could still be registered as "iChat Names" right up until MobileMe was stopped on the 30th June 2012

IF the user have an @mac.com in a Paid For Account when MobileMe started they could elect to link the @mac.com name with the new @me.com name.

However as Valid AIM names they worked as two separate Screen Names.

The same remains true even though iCloud took over issuing @Me.com names for a while.

2) @me.com names issued by iCloud.

This could be done from Scratch the same way an @mac.com (or MobileMe issued @me.com) could done.

You basically hard Linked an external email (also used for Password Recovery and Verification) to the @me.com address. (Creates a New Apple ID).

It can also be done by linking an Existing Apple ID.

I have done it this way.

My Emails for my Apple ID was in fact external to Apple (not an @mac.com or @me.com from MobileMe).

This means I can log in to iTunes, the App Store with either name on one Account (Same password)

It always says "Welcome (original email address) "

Having said that both names work individually for iMessages (Much like the @mac.com and MobileMe @me.com names do for AIM logins)

I have one iPhone set up with the original Apple ID and use that in Messages with that iPhone's Number as a "Send From" option.

I have another iPhone set up with the iCloud issued @me.com name that is not linked to the iMessages account.

________________________________________________________________________________ _____

On the other hand the Original Poster seemed to be saying he had an AIM Name and I got the impression he was trying to get his parents new iMessages Account to connect to it or at least show it was on line - which of course it cannot do.

Part of the confusion here is that Apple IDs issued by Apple are also Valid AIM Names.

My Apple ID name has three Names to it (The original Email, the iCloud Issued @me.com and the new @iCloud.com)

Although I have not checked I expect the iCloud.com name to work as a separate iMessages "Registration" as the current original Apple ID and @me.com name are --- AND --- to be a valid AIM name as well.

Giving me three iMessages possible and two AIM names.

User uploaded file
8:24 PM Thursday; November 8, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Nov 8, 2012 3:08 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

It worked! So now I can use messages with my gf! Thanks!

However, one of the reasons I wanted to use messages is because I wanted to screen share... But it looks like we are not able to do this.

Do I understand correctly that you cannot screenshare in messages with another iMessage contact? Why not? Or how should I fix this?

I tried to screen share with her, by going to "buddies" but "Share my screen with ... " was greyed out.

Any ideas?

Do I have to add another (gmail?) account? And does she have to as well?

Cheers!

Nov 9, 2012 12:06 PM in response to Subgroover

Hi,

AS has been said the Messages app in Mountain Lion can "do" iMessages (the same sort of IOS Messages that iPhones and iPads can do).

As you say, this "side" cannot do Screen Sharing.

It can also use Buddy Lists (AIM, Jabber or Yahoo Logins plus Bonjour).

These Buddy Lists are not on Screen in the default Set up (See Window Menu > Buddies) but when they are on show they are a Combined List (Now See the General Section of the Preferences to separate them).

Any Yahoo Account cannot do Video and Audio Chats and therefore no Screen Sharing.

Jabber (Facebook, GoogleTalk IDs amongst others) can Video and Audio Chats iChat to iChat (or Messages at either end) so can do Screen Sharing.

AIm Logins (@Mac.com, @me.com as well as AIM registered names can Video to the AIM for PC app and Trilliian (with Pro Add on) on a PC as well as iChat/Messages combinations.

Screen Sharing is Mac to Mac with either Messages or iChat.

IF you have separate Jabber or AIM Buddy lists on show then bring one to the "Front"

The Video Menu > Screen Sharing should now be dark and you will be able to turn the Sharing On or Off (Selecting it toggles it to the opposite)

IF the Screen Sharing items is greyed out then it tends to reflect an issue with Internet Speed.

When iChat or Messages Starts up it checks on the Internet Speed that can be seen.

This, coupled with the setting in the Preferences > Video Section > Bandwidth drop down, provide a stored figure in the .plist

This figure has to be at least 128kbps both as upload as well as download.

Obviously it applies to both ends.

If Messages or iChat start up when the Computer does then the figure the app "sees" can be distorted as the Computer establishes an Internet Connection.

Screen Sharing is essentially an Audio Chat+

The Plus bit is the VNC connection that is made to Display the Screen/Desktop.

This VNC connection takes place on a random port so the routing device has to be using UPnP or Port Mapping Protocol if it is an Apple Base Station of any sort.

However this will not grey out the line in the Video menu.

So...

No the iMessages side will not Screen Share.

If you have not got another account set up you will need to do so.

It will need to be the same type as your girlfriend (Both AIM or Both Jabber).

User uploaded file
8:06 PM Friday; November 9, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Nov 11, 2012 5:52 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hey, Ralph. I do not have an AIM account. My iChat account is a .mac account. That was my confusion. I was wondering why the new mac messaging program couldn't work with my .mac iChat account. I added my parents AIM account in their Messages preferences and my name showed up once I was online with my iChat account on my computer. If I quit out of iChat though, my name dissappears from their buddy list. Not greyed out saying offline, which seems weird. Oh, well ... for now it's working. And I my parents can share their screen with me, which was the most important thing.

Thanks for the help.

Keith

Nov 13, 2012 12:24 PM in response to Carlo TD

Hi Carlo,

I have tested my new @iCloud.com name as an AIM valid Screen Name and it works.

For all.

In Messages you have to add them under the AIM option (Previous versions of iChat offered @mac.com and @Me.com options).

Apple encourages you to create longer (More Secure) passwords with a coloured indicator on the password section.

However AIM servers can only manage to use a max of 16 characters and will fail when an Apple ID has a longer password.

With older @mac.com IDs you can log in here (AIM Settings)

This may confirm that AIM have "Suspended" the Account for some reason (A few people who move between different countries have had this )

User uploaded file

8:21 PM Tuesday; November 13, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Message was edited by: Ralph Johns (UK)

Messages on a new iMac can't talk to old iChat buddy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.