Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

anti-virus etc.besides what Apple has installed

i'm looking at eset (anti-virus etc.) for 2 pc's and they have one that covers Mac also at the same time. do i actually need an anti-virus besides the one already here? i've seen articles in the past that have said Apple protection is not as good as Apple says.

i've noticed that several of the anti-virus companies hae versions for the Mac now.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 11:22 AM

7 replies

Nov 6, 2012 11:25 AM in response to Shari3

Helpful Links Regarding Malware Protection

An excellent link to read is Tom Reed's Mac Malware Guide.

Also, visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on malware.

A link to a great User Tip about the trojan: Flashback Trojan User Tip.

To check for the trojan: Anti Flashback Trojan 2.0.4.

A Google search can reveal a variety of alternatives on how the remove the trojan should your computer get infected. This can get you started. Or the preferred method is to use Apple's protection tool: Flashback Malware Removal Tool 1.0.

Or, open Software Update. If you do not have the Apple protection software installed it will download and install it via Software Update. If no update appears that means you either already have it installed or it isn't needed for your system. The software is only available for Leopard, Snow Leopard, and Lion versions of OS X.

Also see Apple's article About Flashback malware.

For general anti-virus protection I only recommend using ClamXav.

Nov 6, 2012 11:44 AM in response to Shari3

Shari3 wrote:

... i've seen articles in the past that have said Apple protection is not as good as Apple says.

i've noticed that several of the anti-virus companies hae versions for the Mac now.

Of course they do. How else would they sell you something you don't need?

The common advice in the others' recommendations above is that you do not need to buy anything. Don't.

Nov 6, 2012 12:44 PM in response to Shari3

Shari3 wrote:

i've seen articles in the past that have said Apple protection is not as good as Apple says.

Apple has modified what they have to say about it, but it's still very good for most users.

Yes, when all the publicity about 600,000 infected macs came out, several formerly Windows only A-V vendors rushed offerings to market. In my opinion, none of those have proven they fully understand OS X, so I would not use any of them until they do and some independant labs test their effectiveness. There are several that have been around for years.

A fully up-to-date OS X 10.6.8 or above will protect you today against all known Mac malware. Keep Java (not JavaScript) turned off in your browsers to be even safer against future attacks. Go through Thomas Reed's guide that Kappy referenced then decide if you need anything.

anti-virus etc.besides what Apple has installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.