Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems installing Windows with Boot Camp

Hello,

i am having this strange issue with boot camp. i have my windows 7 install dvd and go through all the standard boot camp procedure's, but once its finished partitioning the disk and restarts it just opens up to the apple logo on a grey screen, no spining logo, no status bar, nothing! ive left it for 6 hours on this screen 2-3 times now and nothing is happening. when i turn off and on again it just goes to a black screen telling me to install a bootable device and press any key. BUT THE INSTAL DISC IS IN!!! its driving me insane!

windows was burned to a dvd using disc aid and the .iso copied over fine and was verified and everything. the machine im trying to get this to run on is a 15 mbp 2.66 i7. the optical drive has been replaced with a 120gb ssd and there is a 1tb internal sitting in the hdd bay. i dont know if that has any relavance to this issue? i boot osx 10.7 (mountain lion) off the ssd and am trying to boot camp my hdd, but that couldent cause issues could it?

ive had a look around the other disscussions and fourums for 4 days now and i think i have seen nearly every bootcamp related youtube video there is! AND IT STILL DOSENT WORK!

if any one has ANY idea or sugesstion on how i can rectify this issue it would be greatly appriceated.

thanks for your time!

Harry.

OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 1:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 6:31 PM

hayaza wrote:

windows was burned to a dvd.....the optical drive has been replaced with a 120gb ssd....

That explains it. Can't boot off a external optical drive.

First off the ssd should have gone in the HD location and the HD gone in the optical location.

So while your putting your internal Superdrive back in, put the SSD in the HD slot and use BootCamp to partition it.

When Windows is installed, then switch out the optical for the HD.

I assumed you've read the Apple BootCamp instructions carefully right?

Go see BMER over at MacOwnersSupportGroup, he is better knowledged with this type of hardware hack, it's not kosher to talk about that here. 🙂

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2012 6:31 PM in response to hayaza

hayaza wrote:

windows was burned to a dvd.....the optical drive has been replaced with a 120gb ssd....

That explains it. Can't boot off a external optical drive.

First off the ssd should have gone in the HD location and the HD gone in the optical location.

So while your putting your internal Superdrive back in, put the SSD in the HD slot and use BootCamp to partition it.

When Windows is installed, then switch out the optical for the HD.

I assumed you've read the Apple BootCamp instructions carefully right?

Go see BMER over at MacOwnersSupportGroup, he is better knowledged with this type of hardware hack, it's not kosher to talk about that here. 🙂

Nov 7, 2012 1:38 AM in response to ds store

hey ds store!

thanks for your help,

the ssd is in the hdd bay and the hdd is in the optical drive location, i probably should have mentioned that!

the problem i have with your answer tho is that im trying to bootcamp my hdd, which is only used for storage. so the ssd has to be installed in my computer to actually get the machine to start (because thats where the osx system lives and where i boot from). so if i put the optical drive back in, and move the ssd to the hdd bay, where does the 1tb hdd go that im trying to bootcamp go?

...this is all getting a bit complicated!

would a better solution be to remove the 1tb hdd, but it in an enclouse, attach it via usb to another machine WITH an optical bay, boot camp it through there and install win 7, remove the hdd and replace it back in the optical drive bay on my machine? or will bootcamp not work partitioning external drives? i ask here first because i dont want to go back into my computer and spend my time taking it apart to find it dosent work?

i never thought id miss my optical bay untill now!!!!!

and again, thanks a lot for your help!

Nov 7, 2012 9:03 AM in response to hayaza

hayaza wrote:

the problem i have with your answer tho is that im trying to bootcamp my hdd, which is only used for storage.

You can't do both boot drive and storage drive on the same drive.

A boot drive requires (all data off first) it to be formatted GUID and OSX Extended Journaled, then OS X installed, then option key at boot to select that HD OS X boot drive, then BootCamp proceedure ran and install into the partition it creates on the HD.

When you hold option key to boot, you will have three operating systems to choose from. OS X on the SSD, OS X on the HD and Windows BootCamp on the HD.

Your problem is you need the SSD out and the HD back into it's original spot, then the Superdrive back inside to install Windows, then you can take the Superdrive out and put the SSD where the HD original spot is and the HD in the optical spot.

Quite a lot of mucking around inside. 😁

You can replace the data back into OS X on the HD and use that as extra storage, but your main use OS X user(s) needs to remain on the boot SSD.

To do this you need to use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the OS X boot partition of the SSD to the blank/empty of data HD, this will copy all the Users accounts accuratly so you can access them from the SSD.

As you can see here, I can access the same user folders of my cloned partition from the original partition, no "-" minus signs on the folders as I'm the exact same user.

I am currently booted into Macintosh HD and accessing my same named user folder on the clone on Macintosh HD 2.

So basically OS X on HD will become your new "Storage Drive"

User uploaded file

If I wanted too, I could drag and drop those folders to the left sidebar. 🙂

Command drag the SSD using ones off in your case.

Nov 8, 2012 6:55 AM in response to ds store

"You can't do both boot drive and storage drive on the same drive.

A boot drive requires (all data off first) it to be formatted GUID and OSX Extended Journaled, then OS X installed, then option key at boot to select that HD OS X boot drive, then BootCamp proceedure ran and install into the partition it creates on the HD."

THANKS AGAIN, i think im getting closer to a solution, i really dident think that simple old bootcamp could become so complicated!.

so i couldent (boot off the ssd as normal) and then create a seperate partition on the hdd of about 30gb, install osx on it, boot from that (with the optical bay back inside), create a thrid partition on the hdd via bootcamp then instal windows?

its just that erasing and reformating the hdd sounds a bit scary, its taken months of getting the permissions and fixing rouge ubd processes all right so everything works perfectly and seamlessly together with the ssd+hdd combo

"You can replace the data back into OS X on the HD and use that as extra storage, but your main use OS X user(s) needs to remain on the boot SSD.

To do this you need to use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the OS X boot partition of the SSD to the blank/empty of data HD, this will copy all the Users accounts accuratly so you can access them from the SSD.

As you can see here, I can access the same user folders of my cloned partition from the original partition, no "-" minus signs on the folders as I'm the exact same user.

I am currently booted into Macintosh HD and accessing my same named user folder on the clone on Macintosh HD 2.

So basically OS X on HD will become your new "Storage Drive"

this is pretty much exactly how im set up at the moment! with the user account and applications on the SSD and libarys like iphoto, itunes etc are on the HDD and i symlinked some others like the downloads off to the hdd aswell.

thanks for your help again, ive given you some more stars for your time!

Harry.

Problems installing Windows with Boot Camp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.