Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture is taking forever to Rebuild my Database

Hi,

It seems my Aperture Library has corrupted. This happened after i updated to the latest version of Aperture 3.4.1. I'm running my libary file on an external FW800 WD1.5 TB drive. the library is about 400GB. Haven't been able to open the file for a week. I strated by trying to repair the databse, but to no avail, I have also run disk utility permission repairs on my iMac and the Hard drive, also have used Disk Warrior to restore directory.

After all this, I opened Apeture and ran Rebuild Database, It has now been going for over 4 days. and currently shows a window with an empty bar showing no progress stating - Rebuilding Library: 43412 Versions Restored. it has been progressing, but no blue in the empty progress bar. not sure if something is actually happening, but i'm guessing something is terribly wrong as i've been allowing the process to go for over 4 days. . In the System Activity window (using iStat) it shows Aperture been consistently using 100% of one core in processing power.

If anyone has any idea how i can resolve this issue and get my Aperture library up and running again, i would be most grateful!.

thanks!

Derrrick

iMac 2.5Ghz i5, 16GB Ram, 500GB HD with 1.5TB WD FW800 Drive

Running 10.7.5 and Aperture 3.4.1 (Aperture can open other librarys ok)

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 2.5Ghz, 16GB Ram, 500GB HD

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 6:28 PM

2 replies

Nov 7, 2012 11:45 AM in response to macbuzzz

Let it run. I saw the exact same thing -- eventually Aperture finished. As long as iStat reports 100% of one core, just let it run. If you bring up the OS X Force Quit window, I think you'll see that Aperture is NOT marked "not responding".

I had to move a Library from a USB 3 drive to FW800, and it runs _much_ slower. Once you have your Library working, I recommend moving it to USB 3 (if you can). This seems to be a recent change: with 3.3, USB 3 was not significantly faster than FW800.

Aperture is taking forever to Rebuild my Database

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.