Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I had Lion installed wiped HDD can't install now?

Hello,

I received a Macbook Pro for free and fixed it up (was broken).

The person had bought Lion and installed it on there but it was broken so I wiped the HDD but now when I try to reinstall it it asks for the Apple ID. The person I got it off was from a recycling website and doesn't want to put in their Apple ID. I am only 14 and don't want to buy Lion because I am saving up for something else but I really want this Mac to work. Even if I had to put Snow Leopard on there (for free) I would be happy.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 2.6 GHz | 3GB DDR2 RAM

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 9:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 10:15 PM

Unfortunately, the license for Lion or Mountain Lion purchased at the app store is not transferable. That is why it is so inexpensive.

You will need to buy your own. In order to do that at this point, you will need to purchase Snow Leopard first, available from Apple for $20 or, if it came with SL, ask them for replacements install disks by giving them the serial number (you have to call them and they will send an install DVD). You can then boot from the install disk and reinstall the system. After that, you can simply use Snow Leopard or pay to get Lion or Mountain Lion.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2012 10:15 PM in response to jabelone1

Unfortunately, the license for Lion or Mountain Lion purchased at the app store is not transferable. That is why it is so inexpensive.

You will need to buy your own. In order to do that at this point, you will need to purchase Snow Leopard first, available from Apple for $20 or, if it came with SL, ask them for replacements install disks by giving them the serial number (you have to call them and they will send an install DVD). You can then boot from the install disk and reinstall the system. After that, you can simply use Snow Leopard or pay to get Lion or Mountain Lion.

I had Lion installed wiped HDD can't install now?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.