Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

World of warcraft/Diablo 3 frame rate drop to about 25% of normal frame rate and I have to reset SMC to get it back to original. But this happens once every 2-5 days. Is this normal!?

I purchased a 15 inc retina mac book pro in Sep 2012 and everything has been perfect except when I started to play world of warcraft and Diablo 3. After I first installed the games, their frame rates were so bad and the games were un-playable (<10fps). So I spent quite a bit of time searching on the internet and eventually found a solution which is to reset the SMC of the machine. I did this and everything was fantastic, frame rates go up to 30-60 fps on the same settings. However I then realise that I have to reset SMC every few days as the framerate become bad again and again. The frame rate doesn't drop gradually. It is sudden - yesterday the games were fine, today when I turn on the computer they become unplayable.

Any help is appreciated - I tried to contact apple by going through the solution process they have on the website but it just asks me to take the computer to the apple store but I don't have time to do so. It will be great if there is a phone number I can call.

Cheers

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 10:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 10:43 PM

Hello Sinaxwe,

This is not a fix but a work around.

gfxCardStatus by Cody Krieger: http://gfx.io

set graphics to discrete only

Play your games.

1 reply

World of warcraft/Diablo 3 frame rate drop to about 25% of normal frame rate and I have to reset SMC to get it back to original. But this happens once every 2-5 days. Is this normal!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.