Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto can't find photos upon opening

I recently downloaded the latest version of iPhoto '09. It has been working fine until I decided to clear out a few old photos from Finder on my Mac. Now, whenever I open iPhoto, a message pops up saying "ALERT- The photo '......' could not be opened, because the original item could not be found" This is really annoying, as I have the option of cancelling or finding the photo. If I press cancel, it another window pops up for another photo. It keeps going on like this for ages, and when I finally reach the end, eveything is normal. I thought it was all clear the first time I did it, but every time I open iPhoto this happens. I can't quit iPhoto or completely cancel the operation or anything. I need to go back to using iPhoto, but I can't at the moment. Please help!!!

Mac OS X (10.7.3), MacBook Pro 13"

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 3:22 AM

5 replies

Nov 7, 2012 3:30 AM in response to Singaporeair

Are you running a Managed or a Referenced Library?

A Managed Library, is the default setting, and iPhoto copies files into the iPhoto Library when Importing. The files are then stored in the Library package

A Referenced Library is when iPhoto is NOT copying the files into the iPhoto Library when importing because you made a change at iPhoto -> Preferences -> Advanced. (You unchecked the option to copy files into the Library on import) The files are then stored where ever you put them and not in the Library package. In this scenario you are responsible for the File Management.

Nov 7, 2012 11:20 AM in response to Yer_Man

actuallyI decided to clear out a few old photos from Finder on my Mac.

Therein lies the problem. You removed the photos from the library via the Finder and iPhoto can't find them to use.

Best solution is to restore your library from a backup made before you removed those photos.

Otherwise:

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

• Download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.
  • Click on the Add Library button, navigate to your Home/Pictures folder and select your iPhoto Library folder.
  • Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the File ➙ Rebuild Library menu option
  • In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.
  • Click on the Create button.

• Note: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments. However, books, calendars, cards and slideshows will be lost. The original library will be left untouched for further attempts at fixing the problem or in case the rebuilt library is not satisfactory.

OT

Dec 27, 2012 5:13 AM in response to Singaporeair

I am having a similar problem Difference is that I am trying to use the same library as I use for Aperture. My library opertaion in Aperture is a referenced library and works fine and works with no problems in Aperture. When I try to open iPhoto I get the endless loop of Alerts, which I cancel through like in the original post. Is there a way to resolve without having to rebuild a separate library?

iPhoto can't find photos upon opening

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.