Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband ipad How do you find the length of the song

Okay, I find this extremely frustrating (almost as frustrating as needing to two finger tap a track to delete it btu having to go on Google to find that information in the first place!) but I am trying to do a song that is less than 15 seconds for a bumper and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it to display the song length in seconds, just bars. Can someone help me figure out how? I am fully aware you can do it in Garageband for Mac but I am not composing the song on my mac, I am doing it on my ipad and you can't send the song to Garageband on the mac because the file is (apparently) only compatible with IOS garageband, not OSX Garageband. But even if it was, I am going to need to know song lengths in seconds (NOT bars) anyway on my ipad, so can anyone tell me how to do it? Thanks.

iPad 2, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 2:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 3:57 PM

Just click in the screen on top you can choose between time and measurements.

11 replies

Nov 7, 2012 4:22 AM in response to Howmander

Showing the length of a song in seconds is nowhere mentioned in the manual (GarageBand for iPad: GarageBand) - I do not think it is possible.

So you will have to do some simple arithmetic to compute the maximum numbers of measures that will result in a 15 second song:

The number of measures (#M) is the songlength in seconds (sec) multiplied by the beats per minute (bpm) and divided by the measure (quarters per measure) divided by 60 (seconds per minute)

#M = sec * bpm / measure / 60

For example: songlength sec= 15 s, 200 bpm, 4/4 measure

#M = 15 * 200 / 4 / 60 = 12 1/2

Your 15 seconds song will have 12.5 measures, when played with 200 bpm or 11 1/2 measues when played with 180 bpm.

Regards

Léonie

P.S: You can always share your project to iTunes and open it in GB on your Mac to see the duration, but that would be wasteful.

Nov 7, 2012 6:40 AM in response to isteveus

I think it would be easier just to set it to 60 bpm and count 15 beats = one beat short of 4 mesures.

I can better compute than count 😁 But seriously, I did not suggest that, because, if the tracks are all software instrument tracks, the length of the song will change, if you change the bpm.

But it is really a pity, that GarageBand keeps the duration of a song secret. Even if you export the song to iTunes and view it in the Loop Browser as Audio File, you cannot see the duration on your iPad.

Apple, are you listening? 😁 😝 I send feedback.

Oct 21, 2016 2:21 AM in response to adamvs1

Hello, thank you for your answer. in your picture the time would be 3 minutes : 3 seconds : ?and what?

the last four digits here 23.00 do not display the milliseconds because the only go up until like 23.79 and then the next number is 00.00 again. I do not get this system. and for my project i need to know the milliseconds.

I hope you can help me with this, kind regards Stephanie

Garageband ipad How do you find the length of the song

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.