Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compressor and mp4

I've been suplied with some mp4 files which I have been trying to convert to MPEG2 for DVD. However, doing so takes over a day, just for one hour of footage. Is there a plugin of some sort i can install to speed things up?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 4:33 AM

11 replies

Nov 7, 2012 9:12 AM in response to Marc Morris

Do some research on setting up your macpro for "distributed" rendering using qmaster. This will allow you to utiltize the multiple cores on your computer and vastly speed up the rendering. It usually takes a little bit of playing with the settings in the system prefrences: apple qmaster to find the optimal setting. I seem to remember that you need to install qmaster when you did the fcp install. you can always install it now doing a custom install.

Nov 7, 2012 1:59 PM in response to Michael Grenadier

Because I've found some MP4s to cause Compressor grief and this sounds like it might be an example. A one day MPEG2 encode of a one hour MP4 is off the charts abnormal. First converting the file to an intermediate format is worth a shot.

But if the original file were playing nice with Compressor, then no…I wouldn't recommend it and would expect adding the PR transcode step to double the processing time, more or less.

Nov 8, 2012 2:27 AM in response to Russ H

Did a test tonight...

Converted an one hour h.264 video to DVD and converted the same one hour video from ProRes 422 to DVD. It is faster to convert a ProRes movie to DVD compared to using an h.264 video to DVD. When converting the one hour h.264 to DVD the fans on the iMac sped up indicating to me that the h.264 to DVD placed bigger load on the iMac. The fans ran normal with the ProRes file. Converting the video from h.264 to ProRes, the fans ran normally. Did not look at the final video. I would bet 2 bucks that the ProRes video converted to the DVD format safely.

One hour video...

H.264 to ProRes

4 min 45 sec

-----------------------

ProRes to DVD

1 pass VBR Best

8 min 16 sec

h.264 to DVD

1 passVBR Best

12 min 10 sec

-----------------------

ProRes to DVD

2 pass VBR Best

16 min 45 sec

h.264 to DVD

2 passVBR Best

24 min 31 sec

-----------------------

27" Early iMac

3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

16GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x4GB

2TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive

AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5

Apple Qmaster sharing set to 4 instances...

I always convert convert mp4 or h.264 videos to ProRes LT. Better to use ProRes LT over ProRes 422. The file is smaller and the quality damage has already been done to the mp4/h.264 video. (You won't see the difference between PreRes LT or ProRes 422.)

Nov 8, 2012 3:15 AM in response to David M Brewer

How are you converting to ProRes? I'm trying it now in MPEG Streamclip and for an hour of video it's taking well over an hour to convert.

For some reason Compressor won't even allow me to add .mp4 files any more. Weird.

I've just downloaded a trial version of PavTube Video Converter and again, for an hour of mp4 it's taking well over an hour to convert to ProRes LT.

I'm open to suggestions folks...

Nov 8, 2012 4:33 AM in response to Marc Morris

Download this free Compressor repair app from Digital Rebellion:

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/compressorrepair/

To setup the Qmaster in Compressor:

User uploaded file

Setup the panel like below

User uploaded file

Click on the option button...

Pick half what is shown for Number of Instances. (After you try the a test video. Max out the number of instances and see which setting works best for you.)

User uploaded file

OK.

In the Inspector window... check Allow Job Segmenting...

User uploaded file

Click Submit...

User uploaded file

Pick your cluster... Submit.

Try a short video, 3 minutes or so that you know that works in Compressor. Compress to h.264 for convenience. You can (should) open Activity Monitor app to see how Compressor is working.

Compressor and mp4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.