14 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2012 5:37 PM by panoramaBobl, Bob Thompson2
lburech Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I want to send a 5 minute movie to someone via email.  Please tell me how to "share" it so that it is less than 30 mg which apparently is the maximum allowed by my internet server. When I pick the smallest from the list given it is still too big.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
  • Bengt Wärleby Level 6 Level 6 (19,450 points)

Hi

You select Your Project

Share as QuickTime or Export as QuickTime

Here select - 3G

then like this

Bild 1.png

That would be tiny enough.

You can test what's max for Your 30Mb limit

Yours Bengt W

• lburech Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thank you for your prompt reply.  How do I "test" for my 30Mb limit.  Following the suggestions you gave gives me a 4.1 Mb movie which is very blurry. 

• Bengt Wärleby Level 6 Level 6 (19,450 points)

OK

Change the size to something larger than 176 x 144 and the picture will be more information carrying.

Then Export and see what size You get  - my guess is that 352 x 288 is about 16.4 Mb - about.

Yours Bengt W

I am only given 3 choices in "Image Size" in iMovie '11 (ver. 9.0.8) for Fileformat 3CPP:  "128 x 96 SubQCIF,"  "176 x 144 QCIF" and "320 x 240 QVGA" none of which produce a file of over 4.5 Mg which is quite blury.

• betaneptune Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Have you considered a sharing website like Dropbox?

30 mg? That's a really light movie!

30 Mg is the maximum my email server will allow as an attachment.  I guess I have no choice but to retreat into using Dropbox.  I was hoping for an Apple solution that would allow a fairly decent version to be sent by email.

I meant mg as in milligrams. That's what it looks like to me. Very light! I believe it should be MB. (B is for bytes, b is for bits, g is for grams)

Email for movies ***** donkey kong. Go with something like Dropbox. Or you can try smugmug.com. Both recommended by David Pogue. (^_^)

I apologize.  30 MB it is.  I have retreated to Dropbox.  My only concern is that untechnical  people that are unfamiliar with Dropbox might not open it, while they will open emails from me.  Again, thanks for the correction.

• hughmass Level 3 Level 3 (575 points)

I use the free application, MpegStreamclip. Just drag your movie into it, then export as quicktime and the window will show the final size. Just click on different Mbps until you get the size you need.

Having streamclip means you can easily and quickly resize just about anything.

Hugh

I took your suggestion and created the movie at 32.2MB.  My server still says it is over 35MB.  Baffling.

• AppleMan1958 Level 7 Level 7 (27,400 points)

Email is really not a great way to share video. Even if your email service allows 35MB, the recipient's email service may only allow 15MB or 20MB, so your file gets kicked back anyway.

So Dropbox is a good alternative if they need the physical file for some reason.

YouTube is a great option if you want to make the file viewable in full resolution. YouTube has several privacy options. You can make it viewable by anyone, you can make it visible only to those with a link, or you can make it visible only to those you have specified.

Thanks.  I am beginning to give up with email and will turn to YouTube as you suggest.   I tried dowloading it and, although it plays on my computer, I get the message that it is "Not available on this platform" when I try to access it on my iPhone.  I tried sending it again and its says "This Video has been rejected." My link to the video is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wY93i2pp38&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LLSxTfQZ AtmSn7aECeWDyt0w

I would like to get rid of the "rejected" video from showing up on my iPhone and get the video that works on my computer working on iPhone "platforms."

Needless to say I am totally befuddle over all this.  Thanks again so much for your help.

• panoramaBobl, Bob Thompson2 Level 1 Level 1 (90 points)

There is an easy way to transfer large movie files.  Not Dropbox, it only streams video.  It is a service called Pando.  Files up to 1 TB are free.  I am working on movie projects where I send and receive movie and audio files from around the country.  You will upload the file to pandofrom their free application.   An invitation will be sent to the email addresses you submit.  The recipients will receive an invitation to download the Pando app. which allows them to download the file. 

It takes a little time to upload and download large files but it has always worked for us.  An upgrade, paid, service is available which is supposed to be up to 5 times faster than the free one. It will transfer 3 TB files.   Go to pando.com and transfer the full resolution movie.

Good luck,

Panoramabob