Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview corrupts PDF documents when saving

There appears to be a serious bug in Preview and/or OS X's PDF creation libraries, that causes PDFs to be "invisibly" corrupted.

My situation is: I have a number of PDFs that have been created using Windows-based OCR software. They are standard PDF/A documents, and when I open them in Preview they display fine. More importantly, I can "copy" the text from the document to the clipboard and it works as you would expect.

However, if the PDF document it edited in any way - page order changed, a page from another document moved into the document etc - and then saved, the resulting PDF is corrupt. Although the text appears on the screen normally, any text copied to the clipboard is garbled: for example, the displayed text:

AUTUMN SPECIAL!

appears in one of my documents. However, highlighting it and copying it results in

*)﴿*%&(﴾'"!# $

in the clipboard.

I now have hundreds of documents that are effectively useless, as I cannot accurately copy the document text. I know others have had the same issue (see the posts in this Superuser.com thread for examples). The issue would appear to go as far back as Lion and possibly before then.

Is this a "known issue"? And has anyone come up with work-arounds - other than re-OCRing the files (usually by exporting as TIFFs, reOCRing etc)?

Mac Pro (Early 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 11:16 AM

3 replies

Feb 20, 2017 8:00 AM in response to benimadimben

Do a backup, preferable 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit Preview.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Remove the following. You may not find them all. Restart and test.

Containers/com.apple.Preview

Containers/com.apple.quicklook.ui.helper

Preferences/com.apple.Preview.LSSharedFileList.plist

Preferences/com.apple.Preview.SandboxedPersistentURLs.LSSharedFileList.plist

Saved Application State/com.apple.Preview.savedState

Credit Linc Davis for this solution.

Preview Reset automatic download - 3rd party solution

Apr 1, 2015 5:10 AM in response to Kenny Anderson

This issue is still happening on Mavericks and it also happens with Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you highlight some lines on a PDF text and then save it, the OCR becomes unreadable. If you try to redo the OCR on Acrobat Pro, this is impossible because the pages 'contain renderable text'. The only solution I can fathom is not to use annotation on any PDFs. The strange thing is that I cannot find any solutions to this, or any bugs submitted on Acrobat's forums, where they should also be, because this is not just a problem with Apple.

Preview corrupts PDF documents when saving

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.