Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting Old Email

I can't delete some old emails. I get this message: The message has not been downloaded from the server. You need to take this account online in order to download it.

I'm on OS10.2.8 using Mail 1.2.5 V 552.

Is there a way tio get rid of those messages?

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 12:03 PM

3 replies

Nov 7, 2012 8:07 PM in response to dorismuck

I suppose you checked that Mail is online. That message can also occur when the Mail application is corrupted to some degree.

It is possible you have an overfull Mailbox.

In Finder if you look in Library, Mail, Mailboxes, you can find how large the Mailbox is. If it is several hundred MBytes it could be a problem for Mail v1.2.

The following topic is about lost email, but the solution involves breaking down an overfull Mailbox to a more managable size, particulary the last post that mentions Emailchemy.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1377124?threadID=1377124

It is a bit involved but first check to see if you think the Mailbox is too large. If it is not then there is no point pursuing the route outlined above.

Nov 8, 2012 1:11 PM in response to dorismuck

My other mailboxes are very full - is that an issue?

I can't say for sure, but the Mail applications for jaguar panther and tiger (less so) had problems when Mailboxes became too full.

Here is an Apple article on the subject that suggests creating more than one mailbox into smaller mailboxes using self defined categories for sorting.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1895

While it does not mention your earlier Mail version, i think it would still be relevant.

If you created new mailboxes and had no more than 100 MB in each one, I think then you could be confident that Mailbox size is not a factor.

It is only 16 messages that I can't delete. I can't even see the original emails - just the message regarding going online.

Emails are contained in database files called mbox, and the Mail application simply gives an appearance of items. Its index may be corrupted, showing you messages that are no longer stored.

If your Mailboxes are no longer too large, you could try and use Mail's rebuild function to re-order the index. Rebuild will be one of the choices from the menu. I can't say exactly where as I no longer use 10.2 but you will see it.

After that those emails may either no longer show up, or if they do, present themselves as deletable.

Deleting Old Email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.