Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing RAW directly from Canon EOS 30D

I am finding that, when I import RAW images directly from my camera, the thumbnails on the import screen are simply blank grey rectangles with the image numbers showing. So I can't make any choices about which ones to import; I just have to bring them all in and then there are real thumbnails showing in the Project.

However, if I remove the flash card and put it into my card reader, now the import goes as it is supposed to. There are proper thumbnails on the import screen and I can choose which ones to import.

Has anyone else had this problem with the Canon 30D?

Powerbook G4, 1.67mhz, 2GB SDRAM, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Apr 18, 2006 3:27 AM

10 replies

Apr 18, 2006 4:06 AM in response to Sasl

There should be two communications options on the camera. I am not a Canon owner so I can't tell you where to find it in the menu structure but the two options should be MSP (Mass Storage Protocol) and PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol). In MSP mode, the camera should appear as a drive and Aperture should allow you to select the images as it does when using a card reader.

Sam

Apr 18, 2006 5:15 AM in response to SamKva

The 30D has two Communication modes---"Print/PC" and "LAN(WFT-E1)". To transfer images from the camera directly, the setting is "Print/PC". The camera manual says that the computer will no recognize the camera when one uses "LAN(WFT-E1)". And I found that to be so.

In the camera manual, it describes the procedure for selecting the images to be transferred, using the camera controls, and this is what is to be done even if one is using the software which came with the camera.

It looks like this is the way it works. If you want to use Aperture's selecting of images, you put the flash card in a reader to get away from the camera's controls. This is the way I usually do it, but yesterday I tried the transfer directly from the camera and found out about the blank thumbnails. My previous Canon digital didn't do this.

May 22, 2006 3:38 AM in response to Sasl

I am having this problem too, it's very frustrating as I have no idea what images are being imported! Thankfully its not a fault with my camera, seemingly its something to do with the way Aperture sees the camera. I phoned Apple and ran through some things to try to determine where the problem lies and the tech guy suspected the camera rather than Aperture itself, although he couldn't totally solve the problem. I tried importing images on my Powerbook instead, and the same problem occurred. I'm convinced there's something not quite right about the way Aperture sees the camera. I phoned Apple back to let them know my findings, the tech support agent said he would send a ticket to Engineering to flag up the issue, so I hope this receives some attention for the next update.

I'd love to know what the problem is, as my Canon 350D had no such issues!

Oct 3, 2006 10:31 PM in response to Sasl

I could not open CR2 files in either Aperture or Photoshop.
Here is the work flow I use with my CR2 files:
1- Import images from card to my 'Images_new' folder
2- Open the images in Canon's 'Digital Photo Professional' make any raw adjustments as I would in Photoshops Camera Raw, rename the flies, basic edit of keepers.
3- Then use the 'Batch Process' to save them into a 'worked-1' folder as tiffs which is the file type Camera Raw sends the files to Photoshop.
4- Then import the tiffs into Aperture for final sorting...

I also could not find a way to rename the master files after they were in Aperture, I could only rename the versions.

Importing RAW directly from Canon EOS 30D

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.