Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two junk mailboxes

Hi,

In Mac mail I just noticed that I have two junk mailboxes. One is under the "Mailboxes" heading, and one is under the "Icloud" heading. Both of them have recent messages in them from the past few days so they must be active. I'm don't understand why there is two of them. I looked in mail preferences and I don't see any setting to change.

Thanks for the help.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 1:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 3:01 PM

The one under iCloud is on the server, put there by iCloud, and it contains messages flagged as junk by the iCloud junk filter. The other is on your Mac, put there by Mail, and it contains messages flagged by Mail's Junk filter.

7 replies

Nov 7, 2012 4:31 PM in response to Jeffrey Jones2

Thanks, I understand what you are saying. I would have thought that they would have been combined though.

So does that mean if I'm working on my computer in mail and mark a message as junk, that filter doesn't make it back to icloud? So if I'm working remote on icloud when the next message of the same type comes in, icloud would not recognize it as junk? So then I'd have to mark it as junk again in icloud before it would be filtered while working remote. Why wouldn't everyone want these filters to go back to icloud and to have only one junk mail folder on icloud? One folder, one set of filters and one place to check when looking for legitamate emails that might have been flagged as junk....

Thanks

Two junk mailboxes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.