Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 13" and Final Cut Pro X

I am looking to buy a Macbook Pro. The 13 meets my portability needs, but I am unsure as to how it will work for my second need, video editing.

I edit on a 15.6 inch HP Pavilion dv6 laptop at present, but none of the Windows based software compares with FCP.

To render a bluray (1080p) takes me 2-4 hours depending on content (Quad Core i7 2.3GHZ w/burst up to 3.3GHZ, 2GB discreet ATI Radeon, 16GB PC1600, 512GB SSD using Corel VideoStudion Prox4).

To render HD content using a Macbook Pro 13 (dual core i7), does anyone have an idea of what the times would be? Or would I need to bump up to a 15, and what type of times would I be looking at with that?

I'm looking to utilize the features within FCPX, and learn a wee bit about the MBPs at the same time.

Any insight or info would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 2:56 PM

6 replies

Nov 7, 2012 3:37 PM in response to fenwayhiggy

The 13" is sadly disappointing in everything, 3D, storage space, small screen, it has no dedicated powerful graphics, it overheats often. Bad buy expect for light uses.

For video needs your best with a MacPro or a high end iMac (if you don't have constant needs) the 15" is your only other choice for a laptop, Apple killed the 17 which was wonderful with it's huge screen.

Apple has been kind of dumping on the video pro market, the Mac Pro hasn't seen a upgrde in ages, FCPX has had problems like they are not paying attention anymore.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/01/video-pros-apple-needs-to-acknowledge-the-p ro-industry-and-fast/

If you want to go Pro, you should go Avid.

http://www.avid.com/US/products/avid-ds

Perhaps a Avid Win 7 tower and a 15" with FCPX?

Keep both feet wet basically?

Nov 7, 2012 3:39 PM in response to ds store

Agree on all the above. You'll probably want to get the optional (and expensive) 2.7GHz Core i7, not so much for the piddly extra 0.1 GHz but for the added L2 cache memory that does impact in performance very favorably. You will also want to bump it up to 16GB of RAM for the same reason.

If you go Retina, you'll end up having to buy a gazillion different Thunderbolt to anythingelse dongles AND will have to pay premium for the CPU and RAM. Hence a souped up 15" regular would be the best bet given the current catalog. Also consider the widescreen/antiglare option: gets you half a Retina for much less and a lot of relax for the eyes.

Nov 7, 2012 4:02 PM in response to Courcoul

Courcoul wrote:

Also consider the widescreen/antiglare option:

That's for sure.

User uploaded file

Top end 15" non-Retina with antiglare screen, use it anywhere just about, and a 7,200 RPM large boot drive.

Sure you could go SSD, but they are still very expensive in large sizes and will wear out faster with large data transfers on/off like video does, unlike a HD which can handle multiple reads/writes on the same spots.

Why Apple has created the Fusion drive in iMac's, two drives, one Flash and other a large HD as SSD prices are not coming down fast enough.

SSD's make good boot drives in MacPro's as one can use another HD drive for storage.

Stock 5,400 RPM drives are not good for video or audio work as they are a bit too slow.

Nov 7, 2012 4:44 PM in response to JShimazaki

For the HD, I'm going to bump up to a 512GB SSD. I have a crucial SSD in my HP laptop, and it is ridiculously fast, but I'm going to go through OWC or Newegg (I got my 512 for $275 with the transfer kit included). I also plan on maxxing out the RAM as well.

For large file storage, I will probably do the same thing I do now. I have 6TB of storage that I use in the house via USB 3.0 external drives ( 3 seperate 2GB drives ), and for pure backup and burning I have an external Samsung Bluray burner.

I think you've all confirmed my suspicions and I'll be forced to go 15". Seems like best compromise between portability, functionality, and power.

Macbook Pro 13" and Final Cut Pro X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.