Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I would like to create a new @icloud.com email address.

Is there a way to create a new alias for an @icloud.com email address. I figured out how to use the icloud email address that Apple assigned to me, but I would like to see if the address I really want is available.

Thanks.

iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 5:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 6:08 PM

Your @icloud address is already associated with your existing iCloud account and operates as an alias to your existing iCloud email accress (such as your @me address), although it doesn't occupy one of the three alias addresses you can assign to your account. (It operates like an alias in the sense that emails addressed to your @icloud address are routed to your existing iCloud email inbox.) As such, if you create an alias in your existing icloud email account it will also route to the same inbox as your @icloud email does. This article explains how to set up an alias: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2622.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2012 6:08 PM in response to kkarin

Your @icloud address is already associated with your existing iCloud account and operates as an alias to your existing iCloud email accress (such as your @me address), although it doesn't occupy one of the three alias addresses you can assign to your account. (It operates like an alias in the sense that emails addressed to your @icloud address are routed to your existing iCloud email inbox.) As such, if you create an alias in your existing icloud email account it will also route to the same inbox as your @icloud email does. This article explains how to set up an alias: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2622.

Jul 30, 2015 4:19 PM in response to kkarin

Actually, if you want, you can create an entire new icloud.com email address rather than an alias. I was stumped on how to do it but I finally figured it out! This is if you already use apple mail program on your Mac or iDevice. I have found NO other way online and no answers in any thread.

Here are the steps...

1) Go into Mail system preferences either by (Apple menu, preferences, Mail) or via the Mail app.

2) Click the + button as if adding an existing email account.

User uploaded file

3) Chose iCloud and hit continue.

User uploaded file

4) Hit "Create Apple ID..."

User uploaded file

5) Enter your locations and DOB and then hit "Next"

6) Chose "Get a free iCloud email address" and then fill in the questions... It will tell you if the name you want is taken or not. (p.s, I unclick "Email Updates" as I already get those on my other account.

User uploaded file

The rest is pretty self explanatory (but I will show just in case) 🙂

7) provide the security questions and enter Rescue email - I used my other apple email address

User uploaded file

8) Click the box to agree to terms and BOOM... you got a new apple email address. Unfortunately, there is no way to get a @me or @mac account... however, you can give out your new email address using @me.com instead of @icloud.com and it will work too 🙂

User uploaded file

HOPE THIS HELPS ANYONE LOOKING FOR THIS INFO LIKE I WAS!!!

Jul 30, 2015 10:58 PM in response to VCluck

Here's MY problem! My new computer had no trouble recognizing my Apple ID and using iCloud. I just bought an upgraded mini iPad today, had an apple guy do the transfer of info via my back up from iCloud. But a different Apple ID keeps popping up and asking for a Password. When i change it to my current one, and put in that password, all is okay. For about five minutes. Then i get the pop up box with an ID I don't even remember creating, asking for its password. When I go to apple.com , Manage ID, I see the correct one and its iterations (iCloud.com, me.com and .mac.com). When i 'add' this other ID that keeps popping up on my iPad mini screen, it says I already have that ID!!! But where and why and how do i get rid of it!!!! I can't find it, don't know its password and DON"T NEED IT!!!

It never bothered me or showed up like this when i bought my new desktop a few months ago. Strange that it is doing this now. And its messing everything up..can't open iBooks,, download things, put in the new OS, etc. HELP!!!!!

Aug 1, 2015 3:53 PM in response to inkedforjesus

Well, good question. It is my 'alternative' email address. But NOT my apple ID. And, when I go to the settings on my iPad, on my iPhone and on my computer, they all are set for my correct Apple ID and password. So why this other bogus Apple ID keeps popping up and asking me for its password is beyond me. I did a reset, upgraded it to the newest OS and am now individually uploading all my apps, since it did NOT do that as I thought it should have. It randomly chose which apps to transfer. Did i get a lemon?! I'd be happy to delete it in settings IF it appeared there. But it does not. The correct apple ID appears in the iCloud settings. ARGH. I will watch and see if it continues now that i've uploaded the latest software. I also have made a genius bar appt. for tomorrow night. thanks, tho.

I would like to create a new @icloud.com email address.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.