Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Volume limit not going higher than about 75% ?

Hi, I just bought an iPod Classic 160GB after my trusty 30GB Video died, and I was denied service.
I seem to be having a little problem with it. When I try and put the volume limit all the way up, it sounds louder then it was, but when I want to accept this setting, the limit jumps back to about 75%, even though the selection arrow is all the way at the right?
I could really use this, since when I'm listening to certain podcasts, I have trouble hearing them when I'm on the train or bike.

Is this a bug?

User uploaded file

I currently find myself turning up the volume limit without accepting, and waiting for the currently playing track, which is a very clumsy way of doing it.

iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009), Windows 7, Firmware version 2.0.4 (newest)

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 1:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:36 AM

iPods sold in EU have a volume cap in place that cannot be exceeded.

B-rock

4 replies

Nov 8, 2012 2:14 PM in response to Cinaed666

The arrow indicates the volume limit that you have set. Once you set that, the volume bar jumps back to the 75% mark because that is the volume you have set on the volume adjustment on the Now Playing screen.

The volume limit setting screen is just that - the place to set the limit, not the actual volume you are using.

Go to the Now Playing screen and turn the volume adjustment to maximum. Then (and only then) return to the volume limit screen and you will see the volume bar is at the top end of the scale.

Although plan b is correct in what he says, the EU volume limit is internally controlled and hidden. It is not indicated anywhere on a European iPod.

In your picture, your volume limit is set to maximum.

Message was edited by: the fiend

Nov 8, 2012 3:11 PM in response to Cinaed666

Don't even think about it. As b-rock states, you cannot over-ride it and you cannot install "American firmware" onto your ipod. Apple have taken steps to prevent anyone over-riding the volume cap.

However, what you can do is buy yourself an external headphone amplifier. There are several different options, such as the famous CMoy amp (usually mounted in an Altoids tin and also known as the Altoids amplifier), or simply search online for headphone amplifier.

Personally, I own both an Altoids amp and a FiiO E11 amplifier. The Altoids amp runs on a 9volt battery, and can be purchased ready-made or as a kit to build yourself if you have the skills. The FiiO has a rechargeable phone battery in it, which is replaceable.

It would be irresponsible of me if I did not caution you to take care when you using one of these amplifiers, not to have it too loud for too long, which could seriously damage your hearing. (Hence the reason for the EU directive.)

I found that the benefit of one of these amps is to be able to hear the detail in the music, and not simply to have it loud. Because of that, I prefer the FiiO.

I do not receive any reward or compensation for my recommendation of either of these products. There are alternative brands available.

Volume limit not going higher than about 75% ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.