Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Retina crashes with HDMI beamer

Hi all,

I have a mid-2012 MacBookPro Retina 15" running Lion 10.7.5 (11G63, which fixed the TimeMachine issue).

I teach at university and have to deal with 2-3 different beamers a day, maybe 8-9 different beamers and external monitors a week. Our school is equipped with HDMI and VGA for most of the monitors and beamers.

I have issues with the MBPR crashing on waking up from sleep, or applications crashing (Dreamweaver and Keynote are favorites), and every now and then pictd decides to crash and I have to restart the system to fix that.

But I have an issue of the MBPR crashing when I remove the HDMI cable (sometimes when I insert it again). This is not just annoying - it's why I switched to Mac from a PC because I was sick and tired of blue screens. I only have 15 minutes between classes and do not want to have to reboot between classes, or have my system reboot in front of the eyes of the students (displaying the last letter I wrote, the last document I was writing, etc.).

It seems to be okay with VGA with a Thunderbolt adapter. But the HDMI (which is supposed to be a better resolution) actually always chooses 800x600 pixels (duh) for presenting, I have to manually choose a different resolution if I want more pixels.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks every so much!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 3:03 AM

11 replies

Nov 8, 2012 4:50 AM in response to dmdimon

The MBPR has a built-in HDMI - what is the mdp-2-HDMI adapter? I can't use other cables, as they are installed in the lecture hall. It is different beamers/monitors - and not consistent that it always crashes on the same beamer. This last one (which prompted me to write) didn't write a crash dump to the kernel (panic) log, the last entry there is from October. I will try and collect the next log - when I wake the system from sleep it seems to overwrite all of the logs.

Dec 7, 2012 2:54 AM in response to rbiehl

I installed Xcode (all 4 GB of it...) and the frequency of crashes has decreased. I was about to state that this solved my problem when PowerPoint crashed in the middle of a lecture and I had to reboot the Retina, to the general amusement of the students watching me struggle with the machine. I still have trouble with occasional and non-replicable crashes of software (Dreamweaver, now iCal) just seconds after inserting the HDMI cable.

Feb 4, 2013 9:06 AM in response to VincentSai

same problem here.

15" MBPR completely freezes (no kernel panic or nuthin') when i connect HDMI.

tried several hdmi cables, no luck.

mini-display-port with vga: blinks once when i disconnect it, but detects nothing.

also i have a dead pixel in the middle of the display, but i guess it's just time to get this fancy computer over to the israeli equivilent of the genius bar.

any luck with anything, anybody?

MacBook Pro Retina crashes with HDMI beamer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.