Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can i use all my rams ?

i have an imac

and i want to use all my 14gb rams because it's only using 4gb or 5gb

how can i increase the number with something to type in terminal or something like that ?

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 8:11 AM

22 replies

Nov 8, 2012 8:59 AM in response to Rabea

wow! really? that ***...

so you get the spinning lollipop thing all the time / the beachball wheel of death or whatever?

have you been watching the CPU stats in activity monitor too?

hmmm .. i wish i could help...it sounds frustrating!

i don't know what those ads are about macs running slow but apparently there are some preference files that can be changed to optimise the machine for different purposes. my friend mentioned the other day - i will see if i can find out anything specific.

good luck in the meantime!

Nov 8, 2012 10:30 AM in response to Rabea

If I may ask, in what way are you having 14 GB of RAM in an iMac?

Besides that, why would you want to use ALL of your RAM? It's absolutely not good to use all your RAM at the same time, this because memory swapping that will occur, that will decrease your overall performance drastically.

To see your RAM usage take a look at the Activity Monitor.

Nov 8, 2012 11:05 AM in response to Rabea

Ah, ok. thats clear, thanks.

About your RAM, it's not 1:1 -> 'Increasing my RAM will increase my iMac's speed'. Like you said, you still have 10 GB free RAM, therefor it's safe to conclude that your RAM is NOT the bottleneck. Your Mac is simply as fast as it's slowest parts. If you are using a traditional 5.400 RPM Harddisk you are limited to a writespeed of maximum 40MB/PS. Now if we assume that you can erase files with a maximum of ~70MB/PS, this speed WILL bottelneck you.

Simply having a few programs running and deleting files will not be bottlenecked by your CPU or RAM, but simply by your Harddrive's maximum speed. If you want to increase this speed you should invest in an SSD instead of more RAM.

-H.

how can i use all my rams ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.