Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unlock iphone?

I have a 3 year old iPhone 3G-S 16 GB that I want to unlock. This should be permitted, as the phone is old. However, when I call to talk with someone, I am required to pay a $19.95 fee because my iPhone is "no longer under warantee". Catch 22!

Who should I contact?

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 8:40 AM

ONLY the carrier it is locked to can authorize unlocking it. Contacting Apple will do you no good. They do not have the legal authority to unlock it for you.

Contact the carrier it's locked to.

15 replies

Feb 15, 2015 12:50 PM in response to patriciafromsomewhere

Apple does not charge for unlocking. Only the carrier can authorize the unlock of your device, and if they charge for unlocking, then that is their policy. Your carrier is just trying to transfer blame. They are the ones charging.

If you want to switch to Android, that is your call, but if the device is locked to your carrier, for them to unlock, they probably charge for that device as well. Good luck.

Nov 30, 2015 1:15 AM in response to ray3d

Only your carrier can unlock your iPhone. Everytime you active the iPhone, Apple will request to your carrier to check the SIM-Lock status, then return the result to your iPhone.

So the only way to unlock your iPhone is "whitelisting your IMEI number from your carrier". You should contact your carrier for help. In some cases, you're unable to do that or carrier refused your request. So we have to use 3nd party service, they will help you to whitelist your IMEI number from your carrier (Factory unlock iPhone).

<Link Edited by Host>

Nov 30, 2015 1:13 AM in response to Kiran9900

In one breath you say that only your carrier can unlock your phone and in the next, you then continue to place a link to some spurious third party who will unlock your phone for you at a cost.

This is NOT official and using any third party to unlock your phone amounts to hacking it - if you hack your phone to unlock it then it voids any warranty that you have on your phone, so no cover and also when you next go to update your phone or restore it, it will be re-locked to the original carrier, so the unlock is not permanent as it is with your carrier.

The only ones who can unlock your phone is your carrier, nobody else. So don't post links like this in your posts - it is not an official way to get your phone unlocked.

IF YOU WANT TO GET YOUR PHONE UNLOCKED, THEN GO TO YOUR CARRIER.

<Edited by Host>

May 29, 2016 3:56 PM in response to Sybil456

It is not unethical for the carrier to want their money. They sold you an iPhone under a contract - which was how they were going to recover the cost of the phone. If you want to "unlock" it to use on another carrier, you have to either make good on the amount that they expect to receive for the phone ($600.00), or continue service until the contract is satisfied. It's your choice. Read the terms you signed to get your phone.

unlock iphone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.