7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2012 11:29 AM by montagular
Sally Reid Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

If I have this mac mini

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD387LL/A

and I want to hook up TWO of these

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=60525 09&CatId=4420

What kind of hook up or dvi cord do I need to run as dual monitors?

• den.thed Level 7 Level 7 (24,615 points)

While those monitors support both VGA and DVI, they only come with analog VGA cables and you really would be better off using digital DVI connections for both. 

To connect two DVI monitors, you will want to use the supplied HDMI to DVI adapter and a DVI-D cable for one monitor. Then you will need a Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.) and another DVI-D for the second monitor.

• Only XM Level 2 Level 2 (340 points)

For others reading this...keep in mind the highest resolution of your monitor...using the DVI to HDMI converter will limit your resolution to 1920 x 1080.  If your monitor goes to 2560 x 1440 (like mine), you will be VERY disappointed if you use the DVI to HDMI converter.  My Dell U2711 has a display port output -- I bought from Amazon for $10 a displayport to mini displayport (which plugs into the Thunderbolt port) and now I get my full resolution on my late 2012 mini....

Good point and I would have mentioned that, if Sally was using 27" or larger monitor(s). However she is only asking about 1920x1080 24" VGA/DVI monitors, so your point is moot here and does nothing but serve to confuse the original question.

Den - I started my comment "for others reading this" because many looking for help on hooking up monitors to the mini may not take into account resolution....it was clear that I was not addressing Sally since you had already helped her with her issue.  Many peruse the forums for quick answers, and when it comes to monitors, many non-techies forget about resolution and the various methods to connect them...moot to Sally?  Sure, but I was just helping others who may not understand that her comment and your post don't address resolution, which IS important when hooking up displays.

You are correct, please forgive me if I sounded short.

For the most part I just feel that it is better to keep threads simple and on topic, that way others will not chime in with there problems or negative comments and confuse the original question.

No worries!  As long as we can help, and not confuse others, it's all good!  This is a great forum!

• montagular Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

How would the hdmi limitation to 1920 x 1080 affect a monitor with 4:3 aspect ratio on the hdmi port? Could I run a 1600 x 1200 monitor over the new mini's hdmi port at native resolution? It works out to be fewer pixels overall...