Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini with Dual Monitors

If I have this mac mini

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD387LL/A

and I want to hook up TWO of these

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=60525 09&CatId=4420

What kind of hook up or dvi cord do I need to run as dual monitors?

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 12:55 PM

7 replies

Nov 8, 2012 4:59 PM in response to Community User

While those monitors support both VGA and DVI, they only come with analog VGA cables and you really would be better off using digital DVI connections for both.

To connect two DVI monitors, you will want to use the supplied HDMI to DVI adapter and a DVI-D cable for one monitor. Then you will need a Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.) and another DVI-D for the second monitor.

Nov 8, 2012 5:47 PM in response to den.thed

For others reading this...keep in mind the highest resolution of your monitor...using the DVI to HDMI converter will limit your resolution to 1920 x 1080. If your monitor goes to 2560 x 1440 (like mine), you will be VERY disappointed if you use the DVI to HDMI converter. My Dell U2711 has a display port output -- I bought from Amazon for $10 a displayport to mini displayport (which plugs into the Thunderbolt port) and now I get my full resolution on my late 2012 mini....

Nov 9, 2012 4:10 AM in response to den.thed

Den - I started my comment "for others reading this" because many looking for help on hooking up monitors to the mini may not take into account resolution....it was clear that I was not addressing Sally since you had already helped her with her issue. Many peruse the forums for quick answers, and when it comes to monitors, many non-techies forget about resolution and the various methods to connect them...moot to Sally? Sure, but I was just helping others who may not understand that her comment and your post don't address resolution, which IS important when hooking up displays.

Mac Mini with Dual Monitors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.