Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

6.0.1 update stops volume buttons from working

So my volume buttons were working in 6.0.0 and then I updated to 6.0.1, and now they no longer work.... I'm using an iPhone 4, any suggestions?

• The buttons don't work with or without the headphones plugged in
  • Settings -> Sounds -> Change with Buttons is On

iPhone 4, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 1:23 PM

10 replies

Nov 11, 2012 4:16 PM in response to GeekBoy.from.Illinois

Hey, yea I have multiple times. I've also noticed that it only vibrates when I get a call or a text message...

Additional settings

Settings -> Do Not Disturb -> Off

Settings -> Sounds- > Vibrate on Ring -> On

Settings -> Sounds- > Vibrate on Silent -> On

Settings -> Sounds- > Lock Sounds -> On

Settings -> Sounds- > Keyboard Clicks -> On

So also, I get no sound when locking or uinlocking the phone, or keyboard clicks whilst typing....

I haven't tried flashing the phone yet as my PC is being repaired this week... It never rains but it pours 😉

Nov 14, 2012 6:04 AM in response to Runez

Runez wrote:

this is just plain stupid that it doesn't work without...

No it's not... it's simply a way to prove that the issue is the device believes headphones are plugged in.

Verify that there is no lint/debris in the headphone jack. Also check the dock connector for lint/debris and bent pins.

Basic troubleshooting from the User's Guide is reset, restart, restore (first from backup then as new). Try each of these in order until the issue is resolved.

If none of the above resolves, take the device to Apple for evaluation and possible replacement.

Nov 20, 2012 1:53 PM in response to Runez

Thanks for the feedback, and sorry about the delay, had a real busy last week moving house.

So I plugged in the head phones and I can hear the ringer yay! well kinda, how ever I don't believe its a matter of it thinking that headphones are plugged in or not, as it changes the volume setting when I plug in or remove the headphones from the jack. SO that says to me that the phone recognises the headphones are in or not.

As for checking the pins it none of them appear to be bent but there is a bit of dust in there.

I'm downloading the iTunes 10.7 and will try do a backup and restore from my work pc, as my normal one is still in a box somewhere o.O

* RE - Runez's comment about before and after upgrade, that's when I first noticed the issue, it may or not have been a direct cause of the upgrade to 6.0.1 that was the last thing I could remember changing before realising that the phone had a problem.

Nov 22, 2012 4:17 PM in response to diesel vdub

diesel vdub wrote:

rob.a.dunbar wrote:

I don't believe its a matter of it thinking that headphones are plugged in or not, as it changes the volume setting when I plug in or remove the headphones from the jack.

This is by design.

The volume controls for the ringer and when headphones are plugged in are seperate.

Yea, that's what I was trying to say. I was implying that the phone had worked out the headphones were removed, so the fact that it is still not playing a ringtone on receiving a call truely baffles me.

6.0.1 update stops volume buttons from working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.