Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I set my older version of Pages as the default when opening files?

I currently have two versions (Pages '08 3.0.3 and Pages '09 4.2) on my computer. I am finding that when others send me a document created in the older version of Pages, when I open it, it converts it to the newer version. If I make changes and send it back, that same person with only the older version cannot open the file. I know I can duplicate the file, and save a copy as the Pages '08 version when sending the file back, but I'd like to skip this step. Remembering to control click each new file to choose which version I want to open the file in seems like an extra, unecessary step as well. I simply want the files sent to me to open in the older version, so I don't need to go through these extra steps each time. Anyone have any suggestions or tips for me? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 2:09 PM

3 replies

Nov 10, 2012 11:05 PM in response to MRubel

What I do is I start Pages 08 and then I open the documents. I also have done what powerbook is saying but it doesn't work well when clicking on Change all. Pages still wants to open the documents in Pages 09. Starting the applications first does help though. If you try opening a Pages 09 doc you will get a message that you have to get a newer Pages.

Nov 11, 2012 7:17 PM in response to fruhulda

I do try to keep Pages 08 open on my computer, but I sometimes find that my documents will still convert to the 09 version upon opening them, even if I don't make any changes or even save the file myself. I also find that I do not get the "save as" option in Pages 09 when it is not a file I created myself. You wouldn't think a basic word processing file would have this much trouble opening in a version that really isn't that much older. I've been doing a lot of copying and pasting into the older version when I send files out. This really makes the 09 version inconvenient to me. If it weren't for all of my files that now require the 09 version to open (because of this default setting everything I open seems to become an 09 version) I'd get rid of this version all together, as it is not compatible for so many other people with whom I work!

How do I set my older version of Pages as the default when opening files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.