Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my iMessage activate?

I just got an iphone 5 and my iMessage won't activate on it. My old iphone won't turn off because the lock screen button is jammed. Also, I can send texts and get calls from people on my iphone 5, but when people reply to the texts it goes to my old iphone.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 4:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2017 10:09 PM

hi! i have the same problem with my iMessage and facetime.. i've tried activating the gazillion of times but nithung happened.. I even tried reseting the network.. used my appleid but activation unsuccessful.. what should i do? 😞

16 replies

Nov 8, 2012 4:59 PM in response to kaylaaaab

What do you mean your iMessage won't activate? Can you provide any details?

Try following the steps here:

Troubleshooting Apple ID activation

After each step, toggle iMessage and FaceTime off and then on again in Settings > Messages and Settings > FaceTime.

1. Update to the latest version of iOS.
  2. Ensure that you have an active Internet connection. Check your Wi-Fi network using standard Wi-Fi network troubleshooting.
  3. If you receive an error when signing in to your Apple ID, visit myinfo.apple.com, sign in to your account, and ensure that the primary email address has been verified.
  4. Ensure that FaceTime has not been restricted: Settings > General > Restrictions > FaceTime.
  5. In Settings > General > Date & Time, ensure that Set Automatically is on. If Set Automatically is on, but the incorrect time zone is displayed, turn Set Automatically off and then choose the correct time zone, date, and time. Then turn Set Automatically on again.
  6. Enable iMessage and FaceTime while connected to another Wi-Fi network in a different location.
  7. If "Waiting for Activation" is displayed, leave FaceTime and iMessage enabled for 24 hours. Toggling FaceTime or iMessage off and on will cause the registration process to start over.

Troubleshooting telephone-number activation (iPhone only)

After each step, toggle FaceTime and iMessage off and then on in Settings > Messages and Settings > FaceTime.

1. Update to the latest version of iOS.
  2. Verify that you are connected to a cellular network and can send SMS messages. You need a valid SMS messaging plan to activate FaceTime.
  3. Ensure that FaceTime has not been restricted: Settings > General > Restrictions > FaceTime.
  4. In Settings > General > Date & Time, ensure that Set Automatically is on. If Set Automatically is on, but the incorrect time zone is displayed, turn Set Automatically off and then choose the correct time zone, date, and time. Then turn Set Automatically on again.
  5. Contact your carrier to verify that there are no restrictions on text messages. Blocks on text messaging will prevent iMessage and FaceTime registration.
  6. If you are unable to activate iMessage or FaceTime on a device after remote wiping it, wait at least 24 hours and try again.
  7. If "Waiting for Activation" is displayed, leave FaceTime and iMessage enabled for 24 hours. Toggling FaceTime or iMessage off and on will cause the registration process to start over.

iOS: Troubleshooting FaceTime and iMessage Activation

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4268

As for messages going to your old phone... are they replying to your Apple ID? If you're not signed into your Apple ID on your iPhone 5 then you won't get the messages.

Dec 12, 2012 2:43 AM in response to kaylaaaab

Listen guys i had exactley same problem having spend 2 weeks trying to resolve the issue with apple with no luck tried everything to find out that My server Orange had not fully updated my sim card to use on my iphone 4s once they updated my sim which took 30 secs all was well !!!! When you change your phone your sim needs to be updated something i didnt know so contact your server and kindly ask them to update and activate your sim card hence why imessage and other specs doint work !!!

Dec 30, 2012 9:30 AM in response to Trumania

Hi Guys, i have the same problem. i've just recieved my ipad (4th generation) and succesfully transferred everything from my ipad3 throug icloud backup and now it doesnt want to activate my imessage and facetime.

Keep getting username and password is incorrect. app store and icloud is working fine and my apple id is correct. is there something wrong with imessage and facetime????

Why won't my iMessage activate?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.