12 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2012 7:34 AM by Niku
Niku Level 2 Level 2 (285 points)

What determines when songs will be tranferrred from the "Recently Added" playlist to the main iTunes library? Sometimes it's done immediately, and sometimes it takes much longer. At the moment, I have some songs there that I can't move to the main library. I've tried turning my computer OFF and On--several times, but that didn't work. I've also tried dragging the files, but they wouldn't stay in the library.  What could be causing this?


iDVD 7.1.1 (1150)
  • John Galt Level 8 Level 8 (42,190 points)

    They should be in your iTunes Library immediately, and leave the "recently added" smart playlist after a period that you specify:

     

    Screen Shot 2012-11-09 at 12.27.22 AM.png

  • Limnos Level 8 Level 8 (44,460 points)

    Anything in a playlist is automatically also in your main library, you don't need to move anything.  Recently Added is a smart playlist.  If you right click to edit it you will see it is set to display items added in the last 2 weeks.

     

    You cannot manually alter content in smart playlists.

  • turingtest2 Level 9 Level 9 (61,150 points)

    Something may have gone wrong with the index of the Music playlist. Download the current iTunes Free Single of the Week. I know it sounds odd, but it should fix the problem.

     

    If that doesn't work close iTunes and delete the hidden file sentinel from inside the main iTunes folder, then start iTunes again. It should run a consistency check when it starts up.

     

    tt2

  • Niku Level 2 Level 2 (285 points)

    John Galt wrote:

     

    They should be in your iTunes Library immediately, and leave the "recently added" smart playlist after a period that you specify:

     

    Screen Shot 2012-11-09 at 12.27.22 AM.png

    ----

    Maybe they should, but they're not. That's why I came here. However, you do show something that may be the answer. How do I get that box you display? I've looked for it with iTunes Preferrences, but I can't find it. By the way, I have iTunes 10 installed. Could that be the difference? Finally, the following morning, those songs in "recently added" have still not been transferred to my iTunes library.

  • Niku Level 2 Level 2 (285 points)

    Niku wrote:

     

    John Galt wrote:

     

    They should be in your iTunes Library immediately, and leave the "recently added" smart playlist after a period that you specify:

     

    Screen Shot 2012-11-09 at 12.27.22 AM.png

    ----

    Maybe they should, but they're not. That's why I came here. However, you do show something that may be the answer. How do I get that box you display? I've looked for it with iTunes Preferrences, but I can't find it. By the way, I have iTunes 10 installed. Could that be the difference? Finally, the following morning, those songs in "recently added" have still not been transferred to my iTunes library.

    Forget my question, as it was answered by Limnos. Unfortunately, I don't understand it, so I don't know what settings to use. However, all twenty-five of the songs in "recently added" have now been added to my iunes library, so I guess it doesn't matter. I do wonder why they're still in "recently added" though. In the past, they disappeared from "recently added" when they were transferred to my iTunes librry.

  • turingtest2 Level 9 Level 9 (61,150 points)

    All songs added to the library should be added to the main Music playlist, and any & all smart playlists for which they qualify. Every item added to the library should show up in one of the media containers under Library at the top of the left-hand column of the iTunes window. The default rules for Recently Added keeps songs newly added songs in that list for two weeks (as well as Music). I suspect that either another download or an edit to the library has triggered the same re-indexing of the database that I mentioned above. The other possibility is described at Missing Artist or Album not with others by same artist.

     

    tt2

  • Limnos Level 8 Level 8 (44,460 points)

    There might be something delaying the listing of songs in your main library.  If you use iTunes Match that could well be it as I have seen others comment on songs appearing in the Recently Added when purchasing songs but it taking several hours for them to appear in the main library.

     

    Look at the details of the playlist in John Galt's post.  You will see the first line tells you that things showing in that window are items added to your library in the last two weeks.  They stay there for two weeks.  That's the only thing that decides what is in that playlist.

     

    Anything in a playlist on your computer is also in the main library.  it doesn't "move" from a playlist to the main library listing.  You are having problems with the main library listing being updated. I use iTunes 7.5 and it has the identical Recently Added playlist.  However, I don't have all the subsequent bloat Apple added to iTunes (Ping, Genius, Match, multiple Store features to get you to buy more and easily) so when I add an item to iTunes it appears in both the library and that list immediately, even on my slow computer.

  • Niku Level 2 Level 2 (285 points)

    turingtest2 wrote:

     

    Something may have gone wrong with the index of the Music playlist. Download the current iTunes Free Single of the Week. I know it sounds odd, but it should fix the problem.

     

    If that doesn't work close iTunes and delete the hidden file sentinel from inside the main iTunes folder, then start iTunes again. It should run a consistency check when it starts up.

     

    tt2

    ---

    You've mentioned two things that I have never heard of, but they sound interesting. Anyway, I downloaded several iTunes' "Free Single of the Week" songs, but I don't know what happened to them. They didn't appear in "recently added," or the main iTunes library. That's okay. As to "sentinel," how do you go about

    "delete the hidden file sentinel from inside the main iTunes folder" if you've closed out iTunes?

  • turingtest2 Level 9 Level 9 (61,150 points)

    Not having a Mac to test on I'll pass you to a likely looking site for instructions: http://www.macinstruct.com/node/411

     

    You're looking for <User>/Music/iTunes/sentinel - once deleted I'd rehide hidden files.

     

    I'm assuming the file exists on a Mac in the same place as it does on Windows. AFAIK it is updated each time the iTunes library is saved and checked on startup. If it isn't there or has the wrong time stamp iTunes performs an integrity check on its database.

     

    tt2

  • Limnos Level 8 Level 8 (44,460 points)

    Before messing with hidden files tell us if you use iTunes Match.

  • Niku Level 2 Level 2 (285 points)

    Limnos wrote:

     

    There might be something delaying the listing of songs in your main library.  If you use iTunes Match that could well be it as I have seen others comment on songs appearing in the Recently Added when purchasing songs but it taking several hours for them to appear in the main library.

     

    Look at the details of the playlist in John Galt's post.  You will see the first line tells you that things showing in that window are items added to your library in the last two weeks.  They stay there for two weeks.  That's the only thing that decides what is in that playlist.

     

    Anything in a playlist on your computer is also in the main library.  it doesn't "move" from a playlist to the main library listing.  You are having problems with the main library listing being updated. I use iTunes 7.5 and it has the identical Recently Added playlist.  However, I don't have all the subsequent bloat Apple added to iTunes (Ping, Genius, Match, multiple Store features to get you to buy more and easily) so when I add an item to iTunes it appears in both the library and that list immediately, even on my slow computer.

    ----

    I was obviously missing something, a lot, actually, so I decided that I'd have to "get up to speed" by studying the subject in greater depth. I downoaded "Digital Music Meets its Match in Apple iCloud," because I now realize that "Match" as used by iTunes means something more and different than I had thought. I also printed the 13-page article "iTunes A to Z". I have books on iTunes, but the difference with these downloads is that I WILL ACTUALLY READ THEM. That should solve most of the problems I've been having; If not, at least I'll be able to ask better informed questions. Thanks for your help.

  • Niku Level 2 Level 2 (285 points)

    Limnos wrote:

     

    Before messing with hidden files tell us if you use iTunes Match.

    ---

    No more. I turned it off, and Genius, too.