Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to repair a disc with fsck?

Hey

My iMac from 2008 (running Mountain Lion) hung yesterday and i've been unable to boot after that. I had a usb key with Lion on it and booted into it and run the verify disk and repair disc permissions through the disc utility, none of them reported any problems but i still can't boot. I booted into the Lion usb key again and tried to create a backup but that crashed about half way in and said something about an input/output error (it was very generic and didn't say anything about what actually had happened).

Now i'm starting to run out of ideas but i thought i'd try to run fsck.

So i'm running fsck_hfs -fy and i'm getting this output:

** /dev/rdisk13s2 (NO WRITE)
    Executing fsck_hfs (version diskdev_cmds-540.1~25.
** Verifying volume when it is mounted with write access.
    Journal need to be replayed but volume is read-only
** Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
    The volume name is Namnlös 1
** Checking extents overflow file.
** Checking catalog file.
** Checking multi-linked files.
** Checking catalog hiearchy.
** Checking extended attributes file.
** Checking volume bitmap.
** Checking volume information.
** The volume Namnlös 1 was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.

Now how do I actually repair it? I thought fsck_hfs would do that? The NO WRITE and read-only hints at that it's well, read-only but then how do i enable read-write?

Any tips?

Regards,

Andreas Falk

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 12:22 AM

2 replies

Nov 13, 2012 3:02 PM in response to BobHarris

Yes, but I thought I'd get more options by running it from the command line. Also i prefer running things from the command line whenever I can.

I was booted from a usb stick.

Yes, I'm sure. I double checked in disc utility 🙂.

I did manage to boot into OS X on the harddrive yesterday after running fsck a few times in single-user mode but it crashed and now it doesn't show up in the boot menu again.

Not really.

How to repair a disc with fsck?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.