Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 6.0.1 - HORRIBLE battery life after upgrage

Since upgrading to 6.0.1 (iPhone 4S) my phone battery drains significantly faster than before. I also have a handful of co-workers/friends who concur that battery life is horrible since the upgrade. They have iPhone 4 and 4S.

Anyone else?

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 6:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:13 AM

jss92 wrote:

Anyone else?

Search the forums and you'll find your answer.

29 replies

Nov 15, 2012 8:07 AM in response to jss92

My 3 week old iPhone 4S had the same battery life issue after updating to ios 6.0.1. It died at 47% then 52% then 57%. While recharging after early death, I noticed that it got to 100% really fast, so I decided to charge it another hour after showing100%. The next day it lasted a lot longer and stayed at 100% for about 5 hours. It did die at about 60%. I noticed that the wall plug on the charger would get warm while charging, so I charged it again for about 3 hours (from the wall outlet) until the wall plug cooled all the way back down. I completely shut it down overnight by holding the power button and the next day the battery meter seemed to be recalibrated. It has been on for over 24 hours and is down to 34%. I think Apple needs to publish a battery meter recalibration procedure to help fix this problem.

Dec 5, 2012 8:42 AM in response to jss92

the battery life on my devices was just fine until last night. I forgot to plug in my iPad 3 and my iPhone 4S, and both died around 2am. Their last full charge was two days ago, and I've thought I was lucky enough not to have the battery problems... Until this morning.

My iPad's battery is nowhere near as good, since I got it out of the charger around 9am and barely used it today. My battery shows 72% right now, and I didn't even use it for a full hour today. It spent the whole day on airplane mode and used to show me at least 92% in these conditions.

My iPhone is almost the same thing, but it shows 65% when it used to show at least 80%, and I've only made two phone calls and texted. It's not even on wi-fi, and the Rogers coverage is great where I live in Toronto.

They are both losing 1% every 5 minutes if I use them. Any thoughts?

Dec 5, 2012 10:02 AM in response to victor_778

Sometimes, when I notice a big jump in battery performance, especially after my phones die, I try doing a full charge (more than 2 hours), then observe the battery icon. If it is still indicating the lightening bolt instead of the full charge icon; that tells me the battery may need to be "re-calibrated." I do a full shutdown at that point. Wait a few minutes, power back up, then let it drain down to nothing again. I crank up the brightness, turn-off auto shut down, whatever it takes to get through the charge quickly, then charge again. Then my battery seems ok. I can't speak to the ipad, but I imagine these steps might help too.

Dec 5, 2012 1:28 PM in response to jss92

I have the same problem but it didn't appear until about a month after IOS 6.0.1 came out. I've been to the Apple store 3 times in 5 days and they have given me 2 brand new phones and the problem perisists. Last night they sent me on my way without an answer. The "Geniuses" at the store could not fix my phone, the replacement phone, or the second replacement phone. I was told that whe IOS 6 came out it was a corrupt software and that a patch was sent out and if you didn't get the patch you were pretty much screwed. So the genius reinstalled IOS 6.0.1 as a clean slate with fresh software that was not corrupt. The battery was still draining with the quickness. I did a full restart (sleep and home button) and that fix lasted about an hour. The Genius told me that I should try to reset my phone completely and start as a new phone. I will try this and just hope that I don't lose all my apps that I've paid money for. I'm pretty sure they'll still be on my iTunes and the cloud but there's always a way for things to get lost. If this doesn't work I have no idea where to go from here or what to do.

Dec 5, 2012 3:27 PM in response to Joebles

I tried resetting and restoring both my devices, and it took about an hour... for nothing. I still have the problems, and I tried restoring with the iOS 6.0.1 file that was working just fine before.

But just like bunjin8 said, my iPad and my iPhone keep showing the lightning bolt on the battery even when the indicator shows 100%. I just hope they release a fix as soon as possible.

iOS 6.0.1 - HORRIBLE battery life after upgrage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.