Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My contact pictures do not consistently appear in Messages

Hi everybody,

I have a late 2011 MBP running 10.8.2. Everything is updated.

I recently discovered that I could update profile photos of some of my contacts via the native Facebook integration under System Preferences > Mail, Contacts & Calendars > Facebook. The updating process worked without a hiccup and took no longer than 20 seconds.

However, I noticed that the profile pictures, specifically in Messages, act very randomly. In some conversations, profile pictures were automatically populated, in others, they were not. Some pictures populate when that person sends me a text through messages, but the pictures dissappear again when I restart Messages. Some contacts never show the newly assigned profile picture, no matter what. How can I get the profile photos to appear consistently in Messages?

It is worth mentioning that on my iOS devices, the pictures synched automatically via iCloud and DO show consistently in every iMessage conversation I have. This problem seems to be isolated to Messages for Mac. The profile pictures also show up consistently in Mail on my Mac. This problem is truly isolated to Messages on Mac conversations.

I would appreciate your help.

Thanks,

T.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 6:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 2:52 PM

HI,

I do not use Facebook and cannot speak to that specifically but I can run though how iChat previously got the Buddy pics and how Messages does it now (Not that is a lot of difference).

Buddy in Buddy List (Nominally AIM) that has no Address Book/Contact app card

I.e. this person is Screen Name only in your Buddy list.

They will display the Pic they are broadcasting.

If this is an Animated pic and you have the Animate option On then you will see it move.

These pics are stored in ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Messages/Pictures

(Paste same in Finder > Go Menu > Go to Folder > Dialogue box)

IF you then Highlight a Buddy and do a Get Info (CMD + i Keys) and add "First Name, Last Name" info then an address Card is created in the app you have.

The Buddy List pic is then added to the Card automatically.

The Buddy list will tend to use the same Pic even if you change the Address Book/Contacts App card pic (see the Buddy List Info card at Profile and Address Crad as the Profile will show the different pic from the Contacts list.

You can tic the Box to "Always use this Pic" which will override any change in pic by the Buddy.

Jabber Buddy pics do vary in how they are broadcast and how soon your Messages (or iChat) app will pick up on any changes.

(WIth AIM they tend to be held on the server so if your Buddy changed whilst you were Off Line but now they are Off line they will will appear in the Off Line section with the new Pic)

Jabber Servers tends not to hold Buddy pics and therefore they are not picked up.

Google and Facebook are somewhat of the exceptions here as they have Account pics associated with the Buddy's details held at either Facebook or Google.

Part of the issue will be the fact that some Facebook buddies will not have enabled "Chat" on their account settings and the Facebook link is likely to pull a pic for Mail.

Part of it will depend on whether they are in your Contacts List.

Some will depend as to whether they are On line.

User uploaded file
10:52 PM Saturday; November 10, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2012 2:52 PM in response to TNvB

HI,

I do not use Facebook and cannot speak to that specifically but I can run though how iChat previously got the Buddy pics and how Messages does it now (Not that is a lot of difference).

Buddy in Buddy List (Nominally AIM) that has no Address Book/Contact app card

I.e. this person is Screen Name only in your Buddy list.

They will display the Pic they are broadcasting.

If this is an Animated pic and you have the Animate option On then you will see it move.

These pics are stored in ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Messages/Pictures

(Paste same in Finder > Go Menu > Go to Folder > Dialogue box)

IF you then Highlight a Buddy and do a Get Info (CMD + i Keys) and add "First Name, Last Name" info then an address Card is created in the app you have.

The Buddy List pic is then added to the Card automatically.

The Buddy list will tend to use the same Pic even if you change the Address Book/Contacts App card pic (see the Buddy List Info card at Profile and Address Crad as the Profile will show the different pic from the Contacts list.

You can tic the Box to "Always use this Pic" which will override any change in pic by the Buddy.

Jabber Buddy pics do vary in how they are broadcast and how soon your Messages (or iChat) app will pick up on any changes.

(WIth AIM they tend to be held on the server so if your Buddy changed whilst you were Off Line but now they are Off line they will will appear in the Off Line section with the new Pic)

Jabber Servers tends not to hold Buddy pics and therefore they are not picked up.

Google and Facebook are somewhat of the exceptions here as they have Account pics associated with the Buddy's details held at either Facebook or Google.

Part of the issue will be the fact that some Facebook buddies will not have enabled "Chat" on their account settings and the Facebook link is likely to pull a pic for Mail.

Part of it will depend on whether they are in your Contacts List.

Some will depend as to whether they are On line.

User uploaded file
10:52 PM Saturday; November 10, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Nov 11, 2012 8:07 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Thank you so much for your response.

Unfortunately -- whereas informative -- I belive your response does not fully address the problem I seem to have. I actually do not use Jabber or Bonjour. I solely use the iMessage service on my Mac. Thus I cannot speak to what happens to buddy lists or the like.

However, I realize that contacts of mine that have a profile picture, do not always have their picture show in Messages specifically. This is unlike Mail, Contacts (obviously) or any other application that would show the profile picture of a contact, which appears to work flawlessly.

In Messages, however, I often just see the grey generic square with the outline of a person rather than the profile picture of my friend. Some conversations that show the profile picture will no longer show the picture when I restart the application. Other conversation will suddenly show the profile picture when I restart the applicatoin. It all seems a bit random, and I have yet to figure out why I cannot get all contacts that have profile pictures to show it consistently.

I made sure that the "address" I am texting to (email, phone number) is associated with the contact card containing the profile picture. Not sure what to do next. And again, all my iOS devices synched with my contacts perfectly, now have all profile pictures, too, AND show them in every conversation, every time. So the very same conversation that I am having with a friend will show a profile picture in iMessage on my iPad, and will NOT show on my Mac.

Thanks for all your help.

Nov 11, 2012 12:22 PM in response to TNvB

HI,

I did start by saying I did not use Facebook.

However I did not realise from your first post you were only talking about iMessages.

I presume you are excluding those people on Facebook that you know that do not have Apple IDs or iPhone to contact via Messages on the Mac and are talking about the reminder that do have these attributes ?

Both Google and Facebook run Jabber Servers so you could be adding an Account in Messages that logged in that way to contact Facebook Buddies. (You have explained now you are not doing this).

I do notice however that when I add a Pic to my Google Profile it overrides the Messages pic when my Google ID shows up in other Jabber Buddy lists.

This can be changed again by using your own Pic and choosing the same Pic Messages is displaying and then clicking Done. IMAgent contacts the GoogleTalk server and "re-posts" the Messages pic - it is obviously about which logged in last.

This may point a way to "solve" the issue by trying to find out exactly how the Contacts are logged in to Facebook and in some cases which order.

User uploaded file
8:22 PM Sunday; November 11, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Apr 5, 2013 12:00 PM in response to TNvB

It appears the problem was fixed in an update. I no longer have the issue. For anyone having similar problems, it goes without saying that you should make sure you are running the latest version of OSX. Try deleting all running conversations and start from scratch. That took care of it in my case.

Apr 5, 2013 12:55 PM in response to TNvB

HI,

Thanks for letting us know.

Glad to hear you have made progress.

User uploaded file
8:55 PM Friday; April 5, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.3)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jan 28, 2015 7:28 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Sorry to revive this old thread, but this is happening to me. I have the most up-to-date OS X, Yosemite, and I'm having this problem off and on. I've tried trashing com.apple.imservice.ids.iMessage.plist, restarting and re-posting my photo in contacts. Any ideas? You can see (in my attachments) my photo in the contacts app, but you can see that my photo is not showing up in the message window.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jan 28, 2015 12:48 PM in response to NJL1971

Hi,

Historically this worked as Different Pics.

User uploaded file

As I have three Computers the Names for the Computers and the Address Cards on this Mac reflect that.

So on my iMac I am "Ralph Johns-iMac". The Mac User Account is "Ralph". The Buddy List is set to Show my Name (Pulled from the Contact Card.)

When you set up An Admin Account on the Computer for the First time you tend to pic a Login Pic (in this case the Eagle).
That would normally be added to the My Card in the Contacts App if you added an Email to the details as you progressed.

However you can change it ( Planet).

The Buddy List is the Pic you show over AIM or Jabber/Google or whatever other you use. Mine is title Main AIM as I display my Buddy Lists separately.

You can choose the Buddy Pic separately as well so that as in my pic all three places show different pics.

Having said that the iMessages pic will NOT change unless you have an Active Buddy List (it does not have to be displayed so the Bonjour account can be Enabled).

The iMessages account will use the My Card pic.

This com.apple.imservice.ids.iMessage.plist does not hold the Buddy Pic - nor the pic shown in the Chats.
Deleting it will make no difference

As your Buddy List is not titled it seems it is the Combined view (even if only one Buddy List in Enabled).

Try deleting com.apple.ichat.plist

User uploaded file

8:48 pm Wednesday; January 28, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

My contact pictures do not consistently appear in Messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.